Plz explain the metaphor of Sentence " I take credit for Paul" in below text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill.Gao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Plz explain the metaphor of Sentence " I take credit for Paul" in below text.

Hello Teachers, Would you explain the usage of " I take credit for Paul" in below text:
Monica: You mean you know Paul like I know Paul?
Frannie: Are you kidding? I take credit for Paul. Y'know before me, there was no snap in his turtle for two years.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: Plz explain the metaphor of Sentence " I take credit for Paul" in below text.

Hello Teachers, Would you explain the usage of " I take credit for Paul" in below text:
Monica: You mean you know Paul like I know Paul?
Frannie: Are you kidding? I take credit for Paul. Y'know before me, there was no snap in his turtle for two years.
Frannie is saying that she made Paul as good as he is today. It seems to have sexual connotations.

Bill.Gao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Re: Plz explain the metaphor of Sentence " I take credit for Paul" in below text.

Frannie is saying that she made Paul as good as he is today. It seems to have sexual connotations.
Thanks for good explanation. Really interesting

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

That sense of 'know' is sometimes called 'the Biblical "know"' (as that was the worde used in the King James Bible - you can also use the word as an adverb: "Yes, I know her - but not Biblically'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.