Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A person asks a question and gets an answer like, "Go find out yourself", or, "It can be this or it can be that, or many other things." Now, the asker wants to tell the answerer in a sarcastic way that the answer was worthless. Could they say, "Thank you very much for your teaching answer"?

I'm especially concerned about the word "teaching". It's my own invention and I'm not sure whether it's correct. I tried looking it up but without success. We have a word in Polish that fits the context perfectly but dictionaries don't translate it into "teaching" but into ""instructive". The problem is that I'd like to avoid the word "instructive". I think its meaning is too narrow. I associate the words "instruction", "instructive" with an algorithm of doing something. But the question asked didn't have to be about an algorithm of doing anything. It could be about some other kind of knowledge.

I thought another solution could be "informative". It's better than "instructive" but I like "teaching" better. I have trouble understanding why it is so though...

So, I would really like to use "teaching" in this context, but I'm not sure if I can. Is it used this way? Do you like it if it's not? Does it sound weird? Or maybe it's a case where it sounds bad when said by a non-native speaker, but it sounds like a nice neologism when said by an educated native speaker?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A person asks a question and gets an answer like, "Go find out yourself", or, "It can be this or it can be that, or many other things." Now, the asker wants to tell the answerer in a sarcastic way that the answer was worthless. Could they say, "Thank you very much for your teaching answer"?

I'm especially concerned about the word "teaching". It's my own invention and I'm not sure whether it's correct. I tried looking it up but without success. We have a word in Polish that fits the context perfectly but dictionaries don't translate it into "teaching" but into ""instructive". The problem is that I'd like to avoid the word "instructive". I think its meaning is too narrow. I associate the words "instruction", "instructive" with an algorithm of doing something. But the question asked didn't have to be about an algorithm of doing anything. It could be about some other kind of knowledge.

I thought another solution could be "informative". It's better than "instructive" but I like "teaching" better. I have trouble understanding why it is so though...

So, I would really like to use "teaching" in this context, but I'm not sure if I can. Is it used this way? Do you like it if it's not? Does it sound weird? Or maybe it's a case where it sounds bad when said by a non-native speaker, but it sounds like a nice neologism when said by an educated native speaker?
"Teaching" doesn't sound right, "educative" might be the solution.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree that "teaching" sounds wrong. "Informative" works well in a sarcastic tone of voice. "Instructive" is OK but not great.

Educative, though, is a great suggestion from bhaisahab - I would say that offers the shades of meaning you intended from "teaching" the best of all the options so far.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you!

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I'm not a teacher.

Hi birdeen's call,

What do you thnk about the following synonyms of the adjective in question?

edify = to instruct and improve, especially in moral and religious knowledge; to teach

It does not appear probable that our dispute [about miracles] would either edify or enlighten the public.

edifying = enlightening or uplifting so as to encourage intellectual or moral improvement;

"the paintings in the church served an edifying purpose even for those who could not read"
or maybe didactic, enlightening, illuminative, perceptive
Their representative gave an enlightening talk on the work done at the animal park
Enlightening answers to questions about laser laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and other surgical alternatives

Enlightening answers to questions about urologic surgery using lasers

illuminative = instructive, enlightening, clarifying

a preceptive treatise - an instructive treatise

treatise = a formal exposition

Regards,

V.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I like "edifying". Could native speakers tell us if it's a good choice?

I like others too, except for "perceptive". Do you say perceptive = instructive? I don't think there's even an overlap...

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I like "edifying". Could native speakers tell us if it's a good choice?

I like others too, except for "perceptive". Do you say perceptive = instructive? I don't think there's even an overlap...

The exaggerated style of edifying might work well if you intend a sarcastic answer :) Enlightening would also work well.

I agree that perceptive is not right. It's more about the realisations on the part of the person giving the answer than on the part of the person listening to it.

masuas

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now, the asker wants to tell the answerer in a sarcastic way that the answer was worthless. Could they say, "Thank you very much for your teaching answer"?

Maybe " your educated answer"? Does it sound sarcastic to you?
Personally I woud just ignore an answer, if I thought it was worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.