• Thread starter shasha1
  • Start date
  • Views : 76,111
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shasha1

Dear Teacher

Please tell me the difference between waiting and awaiting and when we use these words.

If i say...

I am waiting for you .... is this correct or should i use awaiting instead of waiting

Thanks

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
I will await your call.
I will wait for you to call.
I will await for you to call. (ungrammatical)

The verb "await" takes a noun phrase as its object, and it doesn't require "for".

S

shasha1

Thanks for your reply

i have problem that how will i know where to use 'wait' or 'await'

and please also tell me what is recommended 'wait' or 'await'?

thanks

Maxwel

Member Type
English Teacher
May I know how I can recognize who is a native English speaker? Thank you all!

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
wait for (someone or something)

EX: I will wait for Max.
EX: I will wait for the news.

await (something)

EX: I will await the news.

====
Nationality: Look for the country, next to the word "location", shown in the top right-hand corner of the post. I'm from "Canada". English and French are our native languages.

Please note, both native and non-native English speakers help out on this site.

christopher mark kohler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Interesting unanswered question about native speakers. No offense intended. I guess usingenglish.com would have to add that as a profile display option. But is it necessary??? I don't think so. The format of forums allows anyone to intervene, and in the end you get a number of opinions; one reason i love to use this site. If a mistake is made by a non-native speaker it will get corrected, right? Native speakers can make mistakes too....like moi, native but not professionally trained and I, the native speaker, use this site frequently to correct myself. Many many non-native English speakers know grammar better than natives. Native does not equal better in all cases.

By the way, thanks for telling me if "for" is needed after await...hahaha my guess was right! But i needed usingenglish.com to find out for sure.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I guess usingenglish.com would have to add that as a profile display option.

I agree that it isn't really necessary, and being a native speaker is not guarantee of correctness. Also, it wouldn't necessarily act as a guarantee of who is and who isn't a native speaker as it would depend on the person's honesty in filling in the registration page. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.