Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Did you try the gulab jamuns? They're off the hook.
Does "off the hook" mean that they're freshly made or that they're a culinary novelty? The context doesn't clear that up for me. It's a party, the host is recommending food to guests.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
a learner

off the hook

not special
ordinary

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does "off the hook" mean that they're freshly made or that they're a culinary novelty? The context doesn't clear that up for me. It's a party, the host is recommending food to guests.

Ooooh, interesting. I've never heard "off the hook" in this context before!

We use "off the hook" as an idiom when we've been relieved of a duty or responsibility, or when we've got away with something or avoided the blame for something.

"My sister's home early so I'm off the hook: she can go and let the dog out instead; I don't need to do it."
"My mum found out that my brother was the one who scratched her car with his bike - I'm off the hook for that!"

A telephone can also be "off the hook" when it has an open connection and hasn't been hung up properly.

"I'm going to leave the phone off the hook while I have a bath so no-one can disturb me."

The only time I've heard "off the hook" relating to food is when fish is described as "fresh off the hook" meaning it has been caught not long ago. I just looked up gulab jamuns (don't they sound nice!) and it's not a fish dish, so it can't be that.

I'm intrigued now, can anyone tell us what this phrase means in this context?

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
A learner

Did you try the gulab jamuns? They're off the hook.

It is about informal English. Owing to that fact I see this as a wrong usage.

I'd say They are off a hook.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Where does this come from?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's from Flight of the Conchords, a comedy show.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Aren't FotC from New Zealand? Perhaps it's a very specific phrase over there?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Well, I figure it must be one of the meanings I listed in the first post. The first meaning from this entry in the Urban Dictionary assures me even more. But I still can't make the distinction... :-(

@Tullia, the guy who says that is an American...

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, I figure it must be one of the meanings I listed in the first post. The first meaning from this entry in the Urban Dictionary assures me even more. But I still can't make the distinction... :-(

@Tullia, the guy who says that is an American...

Given the context, I think you must be right - but it's certainly something I've never heard before, and I can't help with which of the two meanings it might be.

How exciting! Yay for new phrases!

(Also, I love FotC, which episode is it? I might look it up on youtube and see if watching it offers any more insight.)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's the very first one. And the only I've seen so far ;-)

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's the very first one. And the only I've seen so far ;-)

Sally? I've seen that one, I'll go and watch it again :) I bought my brother a CD of their songs for Christmas, I find them totally hilarious.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Sally? I've seen that one, I'll go and watch it again :) I bought my brother a CD of their songs for Christmas, I find them totally hilarious.
Yes, this one. :-D "Yes, it's mainly 'cause you and her used to go out, but also mainly because of the whole situation with the light on." :lol:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just bought the first season DVD for $20 a week or two ago.

I think the expression is meant as an exuberant recommendation.

Where it comes from or what it is supposed to mean, I don't know. In this context, "off the hook" means good.

If your phone is ringing "off the hook" that's a good thing. It means you are popular.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I think I've got it.
If my phone's off the hook I am an asked person.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ooooh, interesting. I've never heard "off the hook" in this context before!

We use "off the hook" as an idiom when we've been relieved of a duty or responsibility, or when we've got away with something or avoided the blame for something.

"My sister's home early so I'm off the hook: she can go and let the dog out instead; I don't need to do it."
"My mum found out that my brother was the one who scratched her car with his bike - I'm off the hook for that!"

A telephone can also be "off the hook" when it has an open connection and hasn't been hung up properly.

"I'm going to leave the phone off the hook while I have a bath so no-one can disturb me."

The only time I've heard "off the hook" relating to food is when fish is described as "fresh off the hook" meaning it has been caught not long ago. I just looked up gulab jamuns (don't they sound nice!) and it's not a fish dish, so it can't be that.

I'm intrigued now, can anyone tell us what this phrase means in this context?
I have a feeling this use of 'off the hook' to mean ordinary/standard is a non-British (American?) version of our 'off the peg'. But this relates to run-of-the-mill clothes, not food... So I'm flummoxed. :?:

b

PS: If it's a good thing, then the idea of the phone ringing 'off the hook' may be linked. They're very popular; they would - from the seller's point of view - 'sell like hot cakes' (which is appropriate, gastronomically if not commercially). ;-)

Last edited:

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
A learner

I think I've got this meaning as well

If my trousers were of off-the-peg quality I didn't pay them much.

Member Type
Other
In America, "off the hook" is slang for something that is excellent or pleasing.

But I should say that it is often used humorously and not in everyday speech.

Pat

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A learner

I think I've got this meaning as well

If my trousers were of off-the-peg quality I didn't pay [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] much for them.

Rather than saying they're 'of off-the-peg quality' you could say you bought them 'off the peg'. Or just 'They're off-the-peg.'

... and you could say that the employer of the people who made them didn't pay them much . People are paid; things are paid for. People aren't, unless they're slaves. (The exception is when 'for' means 'on someone's behalf': 'Let him through; I've paid for him' means 'I've paid the entrance fee on his behalf' - although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a joke somewhere on YouTube involving a slave and an entrance fee! ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.