Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Hi! I have a question: how do you call the people whose skin is darker than Americans.
Is it possible to say that a person is brown? or can you use brunette as to refer to hair and skin?
:)

Member Type
Other
You have to be careful with what you say and who you say it to. No ethnic group that I know of would like to be called "brown". There are no "brown people" or "browns" in America.

The term "black" is used more frequently to describe a person of African heritage, but the most accepted term is "African-American".

"Brunette" is only used in reference to hair.

Pat

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The preferred term today to encompass both blacks and Latinos is "persons of color."

Carlhya

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Thanks for the clarification...In fact, I want to know the term when you want to describe people. She's tall, she's thin and she's brunette. (She's Mexican) Maybe I could say the nationality instead of the color of the skin...What do you think? Would it be better?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We do refer to complexions, though. You could say someone has a dark complexion, an olive complexion, skin like cafe-au-lait, etc.

To confuse matters, I have two coworkers whose skin tones pass each other in darkness depending on the time of year. My African-American friend is very light-skinned and wears sunscreen, while my Greek friend is a worships the sun and gets very dark. In August, she's actually darker.

Carlhya

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
:-D Thanks everybody for your useful comments!!! Those are and will be really helpful!!!....:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.