• Post Thanks / Like

Lori Berenson's letter

With protesters gathering daily outside her Lima apartment building, lighting candles and demanding that she be deported from Peru, Berenson sent a letter to President Garcia admitting her "criminal responsibility for terrorist collaboration" and further writing I would also like to say that I very much regret the harm I have caused Peruvian society, and I ask forgiveness from people who have been affected by my actions or words.

----------------------------

Can we say 'regret for the harm' rather than 'regret the harm'? Did she forget to put a 'for' after 'ask', or 'ask forgiveness' is just fine in the context? Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lori Berenson's letter

Quote Originally Posted by jiamajia View Post
    With protesters gathering daily outside her Lima apartment building, lighting candles and demanding that she be deported from Peru, Berenson sent a letter to President Garcia admitting her "criminal responsibility for terrorist collaboration" and further writing I would also like to say that I very much regret the harm I have caused Peruvian society, and I ask forgiveness from people who have been affected by my actions or words.

----------------------------

Can we say 'regret for the harm' rather than 'regret the harm'? Did she forget to put a 'for' after 'ask', or 'ask forgiveness' is just fine in the context? Thank you.
    "Regret the harm" and "ask forgiveness" are correct as they are. We "regret something", we don't "regret for something". We can "ask for forgiveness" or we can "ask forgiveness", either one is OK.