Hello, teachers! Could you tell me a sentence that has the same meaning as this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, teachers! Could you tell me a sentence that has the same meaning as this one?

You should eat a balanced diet.

This is my sentence: You sould not eat too much Ying food nor Yan food.

I'm not sure if it's correct. Thank you!:)

Member Type
Other
It is certainly not a standard expression, but it is a clever way to approach the challenge. The Yin-Yang is all about balance, so it is a fitting metaphor.

Your sentence structure is correct, but the spelling of "yin" and "yang" is not.

Pat

Harry12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is certainly not a standard expression, but it is a clever way to approach the challenge. The Yin-Yang is all about balance, so it is a fitting metaphor.

Your sentence structure is correct, but the spelling of "yin" and "yang" is not.

Pat

Thank you for your help! english-nation teacher! Could you please give me a standard expression?:):up:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your help! english-nation teacher! Could you please give me a standard expression?:):up:

Our problem is that, within our culture, we can't! As english-nation's answer suggested - by talking about 'metaphor' - Yin/Yang for us is just about balance. You have the concept of 'Yin food' (with no metaphor), but we don't. Yin and Yang can be used separately to qualify nouns in Chinese; in my earlier Tai Chi classes I was confused by the concept of 'your Yin hand' (I'm still not sure - maybe it changes from left to right depending on what you're doing!)

So the nearest we can get is 'You should eat a balanced diet'. Maybe this is quite close in meaning, if Yin and Yang relate in some way to foods containing carbohydrates, meat, vegetables, dairy products, and fats (of various kinds) - I've probably got that wrong, but do a Google search for '5 a day'. I don't know.

For example, for us potatoes and spaghetti are both in the carbohydrate group along with rice, but for you one might be Yin and another Yang. (This is just an example; I'm just saying that you might divide foods up differently from the way we do. The only way to be sure would be if you posted lists of foods divided into your categories.)

'A balanced diet' might be the nearest you'll get, but be aware that interpretations of what 'balanced' means differ between cultures. ;-)

b

Harry12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Our problem is that, within our culture, we can't! As english-nation's answer suggested - by talking about 'metaphor' - Yin/Yang for us is just about balance. You have the concept of 'Yin food' (with no metaphor), but we don't. Yin and Yang can be used separately to qualify nouns in Chinese; in my earlier Tai Chi classes I was confused by the concept of 'your Yin hand' (I'm still not sure - maybe it changes from left to right depending on what you're doing!)

So the nearest we can get is 'You should eat a balanced diet'. Maybe this is quite close in meaning, if Yin and Yang relate in some way to foods containing carbohydrates, meat, vegetables, dairy products, and fats (of various kinds) - I've probably got that wrong, but do a Google search for '5 a day'. I don't know.

For example, for us potatoes and spaghetti are both in the carbohydrate group along with rice, but for you one might be Yin and another Yang. (This is just an example; I'm just saying that you might divide foods up differently from the way we do. The only way to be sure would be if you posted lists of foods divided into your categories.)

'A balanced diet' might be the nearest you'll get, but be aware that interpretations of what 'balanced' means differ between cultures. ;-)

b

BobK teacher, Thank you! Now I understand.

How about this one: You shouldn't eat too much meat nor too many vegetables.:):up:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BobK teacher, Thank you! Now I understand.

How about this one: You shouldn't eat too much meat nor too many vegetables.:):up:

:up: That's fine ;-) Or 'You should eat neither too much meat nor too many vegetables'. I think in some parts of the world they'd prefer 'You shouldn't eat either too much meat or too many vegetables', though your version would be OK in the UK. (You could also use the compound adjectives 'meat-rich' and 'vegetable-rich ... but your way's fine.)

b

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Why not to say

You should eat a balanced dish.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why not [STRIKE]to [/STRIKE]say

You should eat a balanced dish.
Not quite. As I said 'You should eat a balanced diet' is OK. But a dish is one specific thing; a cook might 'prepare a balanced dish', but general advice like 'You should eat' doesn't go with such a specific noun as 'a ... dish' (unless you give some context that makes the specific case more general - for example: 'You should always eat a balanced dish before you go to bed').

b

Status
Not open for further replies.