• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Should and be to?

“The general murmur is that advertisers are not particularly pleased because they see it as Google strong-arming people to buy the most expensive terms and make the most money for Google,” said Matt Hessler, account director for Trada, a search marketing firm. ---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

I have trouble with the and. To my way of thinking, it should be to used to convey a porpose---to earn more money for Google. If yes, is the and loosely used since the sentence is colloquial? Thanks.

LQZ

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Should and be to?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    There are two things going on here - the first is that people are being forced to buy the most expensive terms, the second is that Google makes more money. While what you say is true, the writer has opted to frame the sentence another way - people buy at expensive terms and Google makes more money. An example is, I went dancing and had a good time (as a consequence of my going dancing I had a good time) and I went dancing to have a good time (my plan was to go dancing and have a good time). The "and" is not being loosely used here - it has a definite purpose.
    Thank you, Gillnetter.

But I still have trouble with the structure of the quoted sentence.

The general murmur is that advertisers are not particularly pleased because they see it as Google strong-arming people to buy the most expensive terms and make the most money for Google
    I read the structure as "they see it as Google strong-arming people to buy...and as Google strong-arming to make ...". Is that correct?

Thanks again. :)

I agree with you, LQZ, if you break down the long sentence into short ones, it should be like

Advertisers are not pleased.
    because advertisers see it as something.
    Something is that google strong-arms people to buy terms and google strong-arms people to make the most money for google itself.

I am not a English speaker, hope Gillnetter can analyse my above sentences and point out mistakes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by ciscoren View Post
    I agree with you, LQZ, if you break down the long sentence into short ones, it should be like

Advertisers are not pleased.
    because advertisers see it as something.
    Something is that google strong-arms people to buy terms and google strong-arms people to make the most money for google itself.

I am not a English speaker, hope Gillnetter can analyse my above sentences and point out mistakes.
    Thank you, ciscoren, for your help.

However, I don't think the part in brown sounds logical because I have no idea how people make money for google, not for themselves. Maybe I am wrong.

you should know the niche to understand the story.

Google sell advertisements advertiser, I pay 300 CNY to google to get customers to my websites, some people spend a few grands dollors on google adwords, google makes a lot of money.

Google strong-arms people because they are too google, they can control you. If they kick you out, you can't spend that little money and get that many customers from other ads providers.

Hope my explaination helps a little in understanding the sentences.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Google sell advertisements advertiser, I pay 300 CNY to google to get customers to my websites, some people spend a few grands dollors on google adwords, google makes a lot of money.

Google strong-arms people because they are too google, they can control you. If they kick you out, you can't spend that little money and get that many customers from other ads providers.

Thank again, ciscoren. I am trying to digest your explanation. That is, I am trying to understand how Google make money.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thanks. :)

I reviewed all replies and think what it says is what you explained. I've got it.