Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Ever Student's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 1,061
    #1

    Question Service Encounter?

    Hello All,

    Who knows the meaning of "service encounter"?

    I appreciate your help

    Best regards

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #2

    Re: Service Encounter?

    It sounds to me like some company trying to sound important about each interaction you might have with one of their employees.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,510
    #3

    Re: Service Encounter?

    It would help if we had some context - at least a full sentence.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: Service Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ever Student View Post
    Hello All,

    Who knows the meaning of "service encounter"?

    I appreciate your help

    Best regards
    It's the jargon of Applied Linguistics. Eia (sp?) Ventola used it in several articles - though I don't know if she was the first. It is a genre (in the SFL sense), that specifies the different steps taken during an exchange that typically happens over the counter of a business that supplies a service.

    b

  3. Ever Student's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 1,061
    #5

    Re: Service Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    It's the jargon of Applied Linguistics. Eia (sp?) Ventola used it in several articles - though I don't know if she was the first. It is a genre (in the SFL sense), that specifies the different steps taken during an exchange that typically happens over the counter of a business that supplies a service.

    b
    Thanks for your answers soothing, Rover and Bobk. Unfortunately, the title has come without explanation or sth else to show what the intention of the writer is. I have found the expression above in "Testing for Language Teachers" written by Huges.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: Service Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ever Student View Post
    Thanks for your answers soothing, Rover and Bobk. Unfortunately, the title has come without explanation or sth else to show what the intention of the writer is. I have found the expression above in "Testing for Language Teachers" written by Huges.
    Quod scripsi scripsi ! If it was written in an academic context, then I'm pretty sure it's using the jargon of Applied Linguistics.

    b

  5. Ever Student's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 1,061
    #7

    Re: Service Encounter?

    Thank you

Similar Threads

  1. by my encounter or from my encounter
    By jirikoo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2009, 18:50
  2. undertake = attempt or encounter?
    By linhtho0211 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Dec-2008, 17:48
  3. I had a chance encounter with my ex-girlfriend
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2007, 20:08
  4. encounter, civilized time
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2007, 18:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •