Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is there another word for an open marriage?

What do you call a partner who you live with in an open marriage " a live-in girlfriend"? Are there other words for it?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is your definition of "open marriage"?

I understand it to be when a man and woman are legally married to each other, but free to have sexual relationships with other people.

But since they are married, the terms "husband" and "wife" still apply.

Maybe you mean what we call a "common law" marriage? That's where people live together as husband and wife without being legally married. In some US states (following the English common law), living with someone for a certain number of years can automatically convert a relationship into a legal marriage.

Or do you just mean when two people live together? There is no standard term for that.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What is your definition of "open marriage"?

I understand it to be when a man and woman are legally married to each other, but free to have sexual relationships with other people.

But since they are married, the terms "husband" and "wife" still apply.

Maybe you mean what we call a "common law" marriage? That's where people live together as husband and wife without being legally married. In some US states (following the English common law), living with someone for a certain number of years can automatically convert a relationship into a legal marriage.

Or do you just mean when two people live together? There is no standard term for that.

When they live togather but don't have a marriage certificate.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it depends on the couple. There are no standard rules. Most would probably use boyfriend or girlfriend.

The US Census once used the term POOSSLQ, but it did not catch on.

(That's "Persons Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters.")

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think it depends on the couple. There are no standard rules. Most would probably use boyfriend or girlfriend.

The US Census once used the term POOSSLQ, but it did not catch on.

(That's "Persons Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters.")

What is your opinion on terms a nuclear family, an extended family, a blended family and a single house-hold?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nuclear family would be mom and dad and the kids.

Extended family would be that plus some other relatives, maybe a grandparent or uncle.

Blended, I am not sure. Perhaps it is meant when children from previous marriages are brought together under one roof by a new marriage.

Single household? Do you mean a person living all by himself or herself? Or a single-parent household?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Nuclear family would be mom and dad and the kids.

Extended family would be that plus some other relatives, maybe a grandparent or uncle.

Blended, I am not sure. Perhaps it is meant when children from previous marriages are brought together under one roof by a new marriage.

Single household? Do you mean a person living all by himself or herself? Or a single-parent household?

I ment single-parent house.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The term that used to be used was "shack up". A shack is a small house in disrepair. This is the sort of place where a man might take a woman if he didn't want anyone to know about their relationship. The woman was called a "Shack up job". Another term that was used was, "living in sin". Most states in the US recognize a man and woman living together without a marriage license as a common law marriage if they have lived together for a specified time.
Is it better to say " a meriage certificate" or "a mariage license"?

Same meaning?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When they live together but don't have a marriage certificate.

We sometimes say they're cohabiting.

They could call each other their partner or significant other.

Rover

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The following words are related to the problem, but I don't want to explain their meanings. I'm not sure if they're used in the same way as they Polish counterparts and I hope a native speaker will sort them out.

Concubinage, concubinate, concubinacy, concubine.

The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that "concubinate" is rarely used.

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The following words are related to the problem, although I don't want to explain their meanings. I'm not sure if they're used in the same way as they Polish counterparts and I hope a native speaker will sort them out.

The only thing I pretty sure about is that "concubinate" is rarely used.

Not a native speaker.
It's a wild guess of course. Sounds like it comes from Japanese when you pay a woman to be your wife.:?:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The following words are related to the problem, but I don't want to explain their meanings. I'm not sure if they're used in the same way as they Polish counterparts and I hope a native speaker will sort them out.

The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that "concubinate" is rarely used.

If you hear the word "concubine" at all, it usually means a second woman, a mistress. Not one's primary woman/common law wife.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I have only ever heard 'concubine' - never in day-to-day conversation but only in historical contexts like 'Nero had six wives and eight concubines.'

Rover

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I have only ever heard 'concubine' - never in day-to-day conversation but only in historical contexts like 'Nero had six wives and eight concubines.'

Rover

Getting back to one of my early posts.
If someone said "live in girlfriend/boyfriend, what would it mean?

I take it it's someone who you have a fling with. Am I right? A word ''fling". Is it BE or AmE or it' both/

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Living together is more than a "fling."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Living together is more than a "fling."

When you talk about your partner who you live with in a common law marriage, you might well call him/her " live-in boyfriend/girlfriend". True or false?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks for clarification.:up:

The origins of the term open marriage remain obscure. Researchers in the 1960s used the term open marriage to describe individual freedom in choosing marriage partners.[1][2] Closed marriage meant individuals had to marry someone based on social prohibitions and social prescriptions. Open marriage meant individuals could choose to marry someone based on personal preferences.

Nena O'Neill and George O'Neill changed the meaning of the term with the 1972 publication of their book Open Marriage, which sold over 1.5 million copies. The O'Neills conceived open marriage as one in which each partner has room for personal growth and can develop outside friendships. Most chapters in the book dealt with non-controversial approaches to revitalizing marriage in areas of trust, role flexibility, communication, identity, and equality. Chapter 16, entitled "Love Without Jealousy", devoted 20 pages to the proposition that an open marriage could include some forms of sexuality with other partners. These concepts entered the cultural consciousness and the term "open marriage" became a synonym for sexually non-monogamous marriage, much to the regret of the O'Neills. In the 1977 publication of The Marriage Premise, Nena O'Neill advocated sexual fidelity in the chapter of that name. By then however, the concept of open marriage as sexually non-monogamous marriage had gained a life of its own.

Today, with many committed couples not seeking formal marriage, the term is frequently generalized to 'open relationship' or 'responsible non-monogamy'.

WHAT ABOUT THE LAST SENTENCE?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The origins of the term open marriage remain obscure. Researchers in the 1960s used the term open marriage to describe individual freedom in choosing marriage partners.[1][2] Closed marriage meant individuals had to marry someone based on social prohibitions and social prescriptions. Open marriage meant individuals could choose to marry someone based on personal preferences.

Nena O'Neill and George O'Neill changed the meaning of the term with the 1972 publication of their book Open Marriage, which sold over 1.5 million copies. The O'Neills conceived open marriage as one in which each partner has room for personal growth and can develop outside friendships. Most chapters in the book dealt with non-controversial approaches to revitalizing marriage in areas of trust, role flexibility, communication, identity, and equality. Chapter 16, entitled "Love Without Jealousy", devoted 20 pages to the proposition that an open marriage could include some forms of sexuality with other partners. These concepts entered the cultural consciousness and the term "open marriage" became a synonym for sexually non-monogamous marriage, much to the regret of the O'Neills. In the 1977 publication of The Marriage Premise, Nena O'Neill advocated sexual fidelity in the chapter of that name. By then however, the concept of open marriage as sexually non-monogamous marriage had gained a life of its own.

Today, with many committed couples not seeking formal marriage, the term is frequently generalized to 'open relationship' or 'responsible non-monogamy'.

WHAT ABOUT THE LAST SENTENCE?
What do you think about the last comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.