[Grammar] How Many Days Did Someone's Trip to ... ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SongYuxiang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Native English-speaking Teachers,

I read a question in a textbook, which sounds incorrect to me. Let me copy it down here for your confirmation.

"How many days did US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing during his first official visit to China ? "

In my opinion, it should be :

"How many days would be US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing during his first official visit to China ? "

or

"How many days did US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing during his first official visit to China last? " (This one may sound less good, but not incorrect. Right)?

Thank you in advance.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

I read a question in a textbook, which sounds incorrect to me. Let me copy it down here for your confirmation.

"How many days did US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing during his first official visit to China ? "

"How many days would be US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing during his first official visit to China ? "

or

"How many days did US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing during his first official visit to China last? " (This one may sound less good, but not incorrect. Right)?

Thank you in advance.
Not a teacher
Afain , President Obama took a trip to the china about one year ago If You are taking about that trip. I don't think it is correct to use "would be"
because he doesn't have any plans for a trip to the china anymore.(at least in 2010). So there is no EXPECTATION. However, if it has been written in 2009( before that trip), you could use "would be" .

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

or

Thank you in advance.
"How many days will US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing be, during his first official visit to China ? " Asking about the future.

or

"How many days did US President Barack Obama's scheduled trip to Shanghai and Beijing last, during his first official visit to China ? " Asking about the past.

SongYuxiang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you. Yes, it is written in a textbook mentioning the past event.

SongYuxiang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, Bhaisahab. I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.