Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Some bad guy forced you to sign the contract.
2. Some bad guy forced you into signing the contract.

I think that sentence 1 means that you may or may not have signed the contract yet with a strong implication that you did sign the contract, but sentence 2 means only that you gave in and signed the contract. Am I reading them all right? Thanks in advance!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The way I use them, and typically the way I hear them used, isn't so subtle. If you force someone to do something, they do it. 'Force ... to'. Instead of forcing them to do it, you could trick/dupe/cajole... them into doing it (there must be others, but they're the only three that come to mind at the moment - perhaps someone else can chip in :?:) You can also lead someone into something, but it's usually a noun rather than a gerund: sin, error, a mistake, danger...

b

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The way I use them, and typically the way I hear them used, isn't so subtle. If you force someone to do something, they do it. 'Force ... to'. Instead of forcing them to do it, you could trick/dupe/cajole... them into doing it (there must be others, but they're the only three that come to mind at the moment - perhaps someone else can chip in :?:) You can also lead someone into something, but it's usually a noun rather than a gerund: sin, error, a mistake, danger...

b

Thanks, BobK as always! Am I right to assume that there's a feel of "unawareness" when using the preposition "into" here? That is, you don't know what happened exactly but somehow you find yourself in a sticky situation?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know about 'unawareness'... If you fool someone into doing something (there's another of these verbs that take 'into'), they do do it.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.