Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How would you explain the difference between "turn red", "turn to red" and "turn into red"? Thanks in advance!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the context?

Traffic lights? Sky? Cheeks? Autumn leaves?

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is the context?

Traffic lights? Sky? Cheeks? Autumn leaves?

All of the above actually. Here's my understandings and please feel free to correct them for me:
Your face (or cheeks) turns red (with mortification etc). Leaves are turning red in autumn. The sky turns red at sunset. Traffic lights turn (from green) to red.
On the other hand, with "into" the change seems to be drastic as in: Traffic lights turns into a red monster.

yamadew

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
All of the above actually. Here's my understandings and please feel free to correct them for me:
Your face (or cheeks) turns red (with mortification etc). Leaves are turning red in autumn. The sky turns red at sunset. Traffic lights turn (from green) to red.
On the other hand, with "into" the change seems to be drastic as in: Traffic lights turns into a red monster.

I'm not a native speeker and my answer may be less authentic, but according to my observation it is also grammatical to say "Traffic lights turn red" in which the preposition to is dropping.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I agree (though here they from from green to yellow to red). Without the "from green" part you can simply say "The light turned red" without the to.

I like the image of the traffic light dropping down from the wire and becoming a robotic monster, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.