[Grammar] sophisticated tense

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacapalon

Member Type
English Teacher
I met a problem when expressing in such context. Please indicate me what tense I shoud use in such sentence.

The context is I will hand out a card first, and you need to write you name on it, then I'll collect it.

I wanna write an instruction for this, it means when you read the instruction, nothhing happens yet. How can I illustrate such order(firstly, handing out, then collecting) by using tense.

I try to say it like this.

You will be given a card to write down your name. Then I will collect the card I gave you (will give, have given, or give?)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You've already answered your own question:

I will hand out a card first, and you need to write your name on it, then I'll collect it.

That's all that's necessary.

Rover

cacapalon

Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I am confused when I was writting in the last sentence. :). I think it will be better if I use the former one. But what if you guys, native speakers face those sentence you have to put a verb there? And what's the underlined grammatical principle?

Thanks.
Best wishes

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
You will be given a card to write down your name. Then I will collect the card I gave you.

You will be given a card to write your name on. Then I will collect the card I gave you。Whoops! Chinese full stop!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The grammatic principle is that by the time you collect the card (in the future) the action of giving the card will be in the past.

After you lose 10 kg, you won't mind the sacrifices you made.
When you reach the top of the tower, your legs will remind you how many stairs you climbed.

Making the sacrifice and climbing the stairs may be in the future NOW, but after we lose the weight or reach the top, they will be in the past THEN.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Please, never use `wanna`in written English.

cacapalon

Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks for all your precise explain.
And Thank the guy above, I'll stop using that in written English.

Status
Not open for further replies.