Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi all,

I come across this sentence in the Internet

I am a little confused by this statement written by British native speaker

137. would /wəd/and /əd/. These weakforms are used by all native speakers of English but they may almost always be replaced by the strongform /wʊd/. Examples where their use would sound fairly markedly unnatural or deliberate would be expressions like It would be nice if it would stop raining /ɪt (w)əd bi `naɪs ɪf ɪt (w)əd ˈstɒp `ˏreɪnɪŋ/ or Thank you. I'd love one /`θӕŋk ju. aɪd `lʌv wʌn

Would you mind elaborating more and giving more examples ?

Thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi all,

I come across this sentence in the Internet

I am a little confused by this statement written by British native speaker

137. would: /wʊd/, /wəd/and /əd/. These weak forms are used by all native speakers of English but they may almost always be replaced by the strong form /wʊd/. Examples where their use would sound fairly markedly unnatural or deliberate would be expressions like, "It would be nice if it would stop raining" /ɪt (w)əd bi `naɪs ɪf ɪt (w)əd ˈstɒp `ˏreɪnɪŋ/ or "Thank you. I'd love one" /`θӕŋk ju. aɪd `lʌv wʌn

Would you mind elaborating more and giving more examples ?

Thanks
There's little elaboration that would be useful in text, unless you have a specific question. The best thing to do would be to listen to some English sound files and videos, and get back to us if you still don't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.