• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Is my sentence correct?

Regardless of how low the level the writer is at is, he is asked to write someting and can't stop within 5 or 10 minutes, Which is called freewriting.

Dear teacher,

I am trying to explain what freewriting (a means of teaching critrial thinking) is to a friend. Could you please tell me whether the part in dark red is grammartically correct or understandable? Many thanks.

LQZ

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is my sentence correct?

Quote Originally Posted by LQZ View Post
    Regardless of how low the level the writer is at is, he is asked to write someting and can't stop within 5 or 10 minutes, Which is called freewriting.

Dear teacher,

I am trying to explain what freewriting (a means of teaching critrial thinking) is to a friend. Could you please tell me whether the part in dark red is grammartically correct or understandable? Many thanks.

LQZ
    I would delete "....is at is" or at a minimum, "at is".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    I would delete "....is at is" or at a minimum, "at is".
    Thanks, billmcd.

But I am still confused. Does "regradless of how low the level the writer" work for you, if I remove "is at is"? Could you please explain further?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • China

1) Regardless of how low the level the writer is at is, he is asked to write someting and can't stop within 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

[(relative pronoun)........] The brackets show you a relative clause. You have a zero relative clause.

2) Regardless of how low the level [(that) the writer is at] is, he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

3) Regardless of how low the level is [(that) the writer is at], he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

4) Regardless of how low the level of the writer is, he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

5) Regardless of how low the writer's level is, he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

1) 2) 3) 4) and 5) are all ok. I prefer to use 'for' not 'within' but 'within is not wrong. I would write 4).

You wrote 'someting'. That is the Irish way of saying 'something'. But even they still write it 'something' !!! Haha!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroski View Post
    1) Regardless of how low the level the writer is at is, he is asked to write someting and can't stop within 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

[(relative pronoun)........] The brackets show you a relative clause. You have a zero relative clause.

2) Regardless of how low the level [(that) the writer is at] is, he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

3) Regardless of how low the level is [(that) the writer is at], he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

4) Regardless of how low the level of the writer is, he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

5) Regardless of how low the writer's level is, he is asked to write something and can't stop for 5 or 10 minutes, which is called freewriting.

1) 2) 3) 4) and 5) are all ok. I prefer to use 'for' not 'within' but 'within is not wrong. I would write 4).

You wrote 'someting'. That is the Irish way of saying 'something'. But even they still write it 'something' !!! Haha!
    Thank you so much. I do appreciate your help.