• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

try-out

Hello!
    I have a question about the noun "try-out". In my translation I need a word describing the process where the software is tested and adjusted, or debugged to operate correctly with a given test facility. So, is the word "try-out" suitable in this context?
    Other from that, is it possible to say "production/manufacturing technology try-out"?
    Any differences in the use of "try-out" between the AmE and BrE?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: try-out

Quote Originally Posted by Jack8rkin View Post
    Hello!
    I have a question about the noun "try-out". In my translation I need a word describing the process where the software is tested and adjusted, or debugged to operate correctly with a given test facility. So, is the word "try-out" suitable in this context?
    Other from that, is it possible to say "production/manufacturing technology try-out"?

Thank you
    I would use "trial".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: try-out

Quote Originally Posted by Jack8rkin View Post
    Hello!

Thank you
    The common phases of software testing are referred to as alpha-testing and beta-testing.

If a product is being alpha-tested, it is being tested and adjust/debugged in-house.

In a product is being beta-tested is has been released to a limited range of users/customers for a "real life use" test, before general release.

The ways you could use this phrase include:

The software in in beta-testing.
    The software is being alpha-tested.
    The software is in (or at) the beta-test phase.
    The software is going through alpha-testing.
    The software is at beta-test level.

Of course there are - as always in English - a myriad of ways you could work the phrase into a sentence. I see it used with a hyphen between alpha and test, and without, and I think you could make a case for either although I prefer it hyphenated. I've even seen it written as one word (betatest) although I wouldn't recommend that.

As the phrase gains more recognition and is more generally familiar to people, I am starting to see it shortened like this:

It's in alpha at the moment.