Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    Pretend

    "I can't pretend that/like it never happened."

    I realize that it would be best to leave out "that" or "like," but I'd still like to know if both are correct. I'm almost certain that "that" is but not so certain about "like."

    Thanks!

  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 844
    #2

    Re: Pretend

    /A learner/

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "I can't pretend that/like it never happened."

    I realize that it would be best to leave out "that" or "like," but I'd still like to know if both are correct. I'm almost certain that "that" is but not so certain about "like."

    Thanks!
    I also wonder about it.

    I think that the like wouldn't work but the as.

    I can't pretend (that/as) it has never happened.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #3

    Re: Pretend

    Quote Originally Posted by e2e4 View Post
    /A learner/



    I also wonder about it.

    I think that the like wouldn't work but the as.

    I can't pretend (that/as) it has never happened.
    "As" would not be correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #4

    Re: Pretend

    Anyone?

    Thanks!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 143
    #5

    Re: Pretend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "I can't pretend that/like it never happened."
    "That" is correct. "Like" is colloquial usage and best avoided. It is "street talk".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #6

    Re: Pretend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "I can't pretend that/like it never happened."

    I realize that it would be best to leave out "that" or "like," but I'd still like to know if both are correct. I'm almost certain that "that" is but not so certain about "like."

    Thanks!
    I may be wrong, but my current opinion is the following:

    "I can't pretend it never happened" is definitely correct.
    "I can't pretend that it never happened" means the same and is also correct.

    The comparison changes slightly the focus and should go somewhat along the lines:
    "I can't pretend [[that] it is as though] as it never happened."
    "I can't pretend [it is] as if it never happened."

    I believe here the usage of "like" is not correct because it should function as a preposition and should be directly connected to a noun (the object of the preposition). On the other hand "as" is a conjunction. However, the usage of "like" in this way is spread out in colloquial English.

    This is just a try, I am still studying, if anyone disagrees with me please let me know the reasons.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 143
    #7

    Re: Pretend

    That's a good explanation in my opinion (native English speaker and author - not a teacher).

  2. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #8

    Re: Pretend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "I can't pretend that/like it never happened."

    I realize that it would be best to leave out "that" or "like," but I'd still like to know if both are correct. I'm almost certain that "that" is but not so certain about "like."

    Thanks!
    I can pretend [something].
    I can pretend [it never happened]. = SV[OC]; C = (never) happened = object complement
    I can pretend [that it never happened]. = S(ubject)V(erb)O(bject)SVOC

    I can pretend like it never happened =

  3. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 844
    #9

    Re: Pretend

    /A learner/

    It's me again

    1. I can't pretend (that) it has not happened. (Once till now. When? We don't know exactly when and it doesn't matter when.)

    2. I can't pretend (that) it didn't happen last month. (that time)

    3. I can't pretend as if it never happened. (ever)

    In my opinion these three forms are correct actually.
    But they have different meanings.

    In #1 "has not happened" is the present perfect tense and in my opinion only the present perfect should be used.

    In #2 "didn't happen" is the simple past tense and in my opinion only the simple past tense should be used if the event happened in the definite past. (When? Last month)

    In #3 "happened" is the past subjunctive and in my opinion only the past subjunctive should be used in combination with "as if/as though" to indicate current unreality or the unreality that can not be accepted.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #10

    Re: Pretend

    Quote Originally Posted by e2e4 View Post
    /A learner/

    It's me again

    1. I can't pretend (that) it has not happened. (Once till now. When? We don't know exactly when and it doesn't matter when.)

    2. I can't pretend (that) it didn't happen last month. (that time)

    3. I can't pretend as if it never happened. (ever)

    In my opinion these three forms are correct actually.
    But they have different meanings.

    In #1 "has not happened" is the present perfect tense and in my opinion only the present perfect should be used.

    In #2 "didn't happen" is the simple past tense and in my opinion only the simple past tense should be used if the event happened in the definite past. (When? Last month)

    In #3 "happened" is the past subjunctive and in my opinion only the past subjunctive should be used in combination with "as if/as though" to indicate current unreality or the unreality that can not be accepted.
    In #1 "has not happened" is the present perfect tense and in my opinion only the present perfect should be used.

    In #2 "didn't happen" is the simple past tense and in my opinion only the simple past tense should be used if the event happened in the definite past. (When? Last month)
    1 and 2 are fine.
    In #3 "happened" is the past subjunctive and in my opinion only the past subjunctive should be used in combination with "as if/as though" to indicate current unreality or the unreality that can not be accepted. "Happened" is the past and past participle of the regular verb "to happen". #3 doesn't work at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. pretend
    By learner110 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2010, 19:19
  2. pretend
    By sash2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2009, 20:26
  3. to pretend to something
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2009, 13:37
  4. [General] pretend (fein) / pretend (claim)
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2009, 09:20
  5. pretend
    By peter123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-May-2009, 21:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •