Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What would you call a marriage, if some went to the UK and got married there just to get her UK nationality? "Paper marriage" or " marriage of convinience"? Any other options?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What would you call a marriage, if some went to the UK and got married there just to get her UK nationality? "Paper marriage" or " marriage of convenience"? Any other options?
"A marriage of convenience" is a common term.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"A marriage of convenience" is a common term.

I'm not sure,but " marriage of covinience" sounds more like as If one expects a lot from his/her marriage in terms of profiting from it, not just a work permit or whatever....citizenship?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, if you marry a citizen, you can get a "Green Card" which allows you to stay here and work here. I've heard of "Green Card marriages."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In the US, if you marry a citizen, you can get a "Green Card" which allows you to stay here and work here. I've heard of "Green Card marriages."

if one says ''paper mariage" it will be wrong?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've never heard that term.

So marriage of convenience refers to any kind of convenience one might get from getting married to another person?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose you could say "Their marriage was on paper only." That means that although they were legally married, they didn't act like husband and wife. They still continued their separate lives.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I suppose you could say "Their marriage was on paper only." That means that although they were legally married, they didn't act like husband and wife. They still continued their separate lives.

I agree, but that's not necessarily the same thing as a marriage of convenience. Two British nationals could get married but live separately. They might be doing it for show or for some other strange reason and I would say that theirs is a marriage on paper only.

However, I can't say what I used to do for a living but I can assure everyone that when a foreign national marries a British national purely in order to obtain residency or nationality, it is most certainly called a "marriage of convenience".

I have seen adverts in the back of certain newspapers and magazines, where they are referred to as "mutually beneficial arrangements". In these cases, normally one party receives a fairly substantial sum of money and the other party gets a marriage which could lead to residency/nationality.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The term "immigration fraud" comes to mind. As does "overdone sitcom plot."

Status