[Grammar] starting a sentence with the word "Subject"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbit308

Member Type
Other
This question really stems from technical writing (police reports). Can you start a sentence with the word "Subject?"

eg. Subject stated that he did not know.

Or should it be, The subject stated that he did not know. ?

Thanks

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This question really stems from technical writing (police reports). Can you start a sentence with the word "Subject?"

eg. Subject stated that he did not know.

Or should it be, The subject stated that he did not know. ?

Thanks

I daresay either variant is possible. Here is a quote from a story by R.Chandler (a popular detective story writer, the 30s-40s of the 20th century):1. A waitress came with the inevitable glass of ice water, and the menu. The subject gave an order.2. I went back to the coffee shop and looked in through the glass wall. Subject was reading her paperback and toying with coffee and a snail. Indeed the ways of English grammar are very mysterious.

Last edited:

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I daresay either variant is possible. Here is a quote from a story by R.Chandler (a popular detective story writer, the 30s-40s of the 20th century):1. A waitress came with the inevitable glass of ice water, and the menu. The subject gave an order.2. I went back to the coffee shop and looked in through the glass wall. Subject was reading her paperback and toying with coffee and a snail. Indeed the ways of English grammar are very mysterious.

Did R.Chandler find the second appearance of the definite article in the next sentence redundant?
Or maybe he named the person that way?

Thanks

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Did R.Chandler find the second appearance of the definite article in the next sentence redundant?
Or maybe he named the person that way?

Thanks

I really couldn't say. As is known, the human heart (probably, the human mind also) is one of the biggest mysteries. But maybe the British gentleman we were on another thread with, who must have returned from an expedition around India recently, judging by his nickname and avatar, would be kind enough to throw some light on the matter.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In police reports or notes made by a private investigator, brevity is key - both for speed of recording facts and to save the time of those who have to read them.

Standard English goes out of the window here.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Absolutely, Rover!

When writing notes or reports in many law-enforcement agencies, the normal rules of grammar don't necessarily apply.

Subject known to police = The subject is known to the police.
Subject arrested 1028hrs = The subject was arrested at 10.28am.

Status
Not open for further replies.