Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 4
    #1

    gonna be

    Most of the Filipino people here in the Philippines are using "gonna be" in their sentence.

    Is it wrong to use "gonna" and "be" together like "gonna be"?

    Because from what I heard it is a wrong grammar when you use "gonna be" in a sentence because the word "gonna" means "going" and when you use "going" in a sentence its not "going be" but its "going to" or "going to be".

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,830
    #2

    Re: gonna be

    Quote Originally Posted by cherie85 View Post
    Most of the Filipino people here in the Philippines are using "gonna be" in their sentence.

    Is it wrong to use "gonna" and "be" together like "gonna be"?

    Because from what I heard it is a wrong grammar when you use "gonna be" in a sentence because the word "gonna" means "going" and when you use "going" in a sentence its not "going be" but its "going to" or "going to be".
    Gonna = going to

    It's informal and should only be used in speech, not in writing. The same goes for "wanna" (want to) and "shoulda" (should have).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: gonna be

    Quote Originally Posted by cherie85 View Post
    Most of the Filipino people here in the Philippines are using "gonna be" in their sentence.

    Is it wrong to use "gonna" and "be" together like "gonna be"?

    Because from what I heard it is a wrong grammar when you use "gonna be" in a sentence because the word "gonna" means "going" and when you use "going" in a sentence its not "going be" but its "going to" or "going to be".
    Not a native speaker.

    "I'm gonna go there"

    OR

    " I'm going to go there"

    You won't use the first sentece in writing.

  2. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #4

    Re: gonna be

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Gonna = going to

    It's informal and should only be used in speech, not in writing. The same goes for "wanna" (want to) and "shoulda" (should have).
    To add: 'gotta' (got to), 'coulda' (could have), 'woulda' (would have), etc.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: gonna be

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    To add: 'gotta' (got to), 'coulda' (could have), 'woulda' (would have), etc.
    Sometimes "gotta"="have got to" "You gotta be kidding."

  3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 6
    #6

    Talking Re: gonna be

    I agree. It is correct, in an informal setting of course. But used in writing, or in a formal situation, it would be inappropriate. Based on the situation, make sure you're using the appropriate form, "gonna be" or "going to be"

Similar Threads

  1. going to x gonna
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2010, 02:09
  2. gonna
    By vredes in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2010, 05:28
  3. [Grammar] Gonna
    By The French in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2009, 19:07
  4. when we gonna ho ho ho !
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2008, 20:49
  5. 'gonna' etc.
    By toddler in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2005, 21:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •