Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
22) The greedy boy​

One day, Hishaam entered their kitchen then he got a box of almonds which its gap was narrow. He entered his hand through the gap and filled his hand with almond. When he was trying to go out his hand from the box he couldn’t, because his hand became big with the almonds. Hishaam began to yell while his hand was in it. His mother came and said to him, “Hishaam, you are a greedy boy, because you filled your hand with almonds. If you took a little then your hand would come out of it easily. Throw all of what in your hand of almonds and remember that the well-behaved boy doesn’t enter the kitchen and take anything except his mother’s acceptance."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
22) The greedy boy​

One day, Hishaam entered their (you haven't mentioned anyone else so this should be "his") kitchen. Then he got a box of almonds which [STRIKE]its gap was[/STRIKE] had a narrow opening. He [STRIKE]entered[/STRIKE] put his hand through the gap and filled his hand with almonds. When he [STRIKE]was trying[/STRIKE] tried to [STRIKE]go out[/STRIKE] get his hand out [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] of the box he couldn’t, because his hand [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE] had become bigger with the almonds. Hishaam began to yell while his hand was in [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the box. His mother came and said to him, “Hishaam, you are a greedy boy (no comma) because you filled your hand with almonds. If you took a [STRIKE]little[/STRIKE] few then your hand would come out [STRIKE]of it[/STRIKE] easily. [STRIKE]Throw all of what in your hand of almonds[/STRIKE] Let go of all the almonds in your hand and remember that the well-behaved boy doesn’t enter the kitchen and take anything except his mother’s acceptance."

See above.

Last edited:

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank you my teacher!

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I've taken my chance and told the story my way:)

All you should do guys is to correct it as well.

Thanks

The greedy boy​

One day, Hishaam entered his mother's pantry and took a glass jar whose entering was narrow but fulfilled with almonds. He put his hand through the entering and filled his hand with as much almonds as he could. But when he tried to pull his hand of the jar he couldn’t because his hand had spread for the too much almonds in it. Hishaam began to yell. His mother came and said,'Hishaam, you're a greedy boy! If you took a few pieces only your hand would match the entering.Throw the almonds from your hand and remember that the well-behaved boy doesn’t enter the pantry and take anything except his mother’s acceptance.'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've taken my chance and told the story my way:)

All you should do guys is to correct it as well.

Thanks

The greedy boy​

One day, Hishaam entered his mother's pantry and took a glass jar whose [STRIKE]entering[/STRIKE] entrance/opening was narrow but [STRIKE]fulfilled with[/STRIKE] the jar was (note: if you don't say "the jar" here, it appears that "the opening" was full of almonds) full of almonds. He put his hand through the [STRIKE]entering[/STRIKE] opening and filled his hand with as [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] many almonds as he could but when he tried to pull his hand of the jar he couldn’t because his hand had [STRIKE]spread[/STRIKE] become enlarged [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] due to the [STRIKE]too much[/STRIKE] large number of almonds in it. Hishaam began to yell. His mother came and said,'Hishaam, you're a greedy boy! If you took a few pieces only, your hand would [STRIKE]match[/STRIKE] be the same size as the [STRIKE]entering[/STRIKE] opening. [STRIKE]Throw[/STRIKE] Drop the almonds from your hand and remember that the well-behaved boy doesn’t enter the pantry and take anything except his mother’s acceptance.'

See above. Note: a jar is generally accepted to have a "neck", rather than an opening or an entrance, but I have left those in the piece as they are closer to the original word.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Thank you for your help. I've tried again.
Please let me know what I've done this time.

The greedy boy

One day, Hishaam entered his mother's pantry and took a full-of-almonds glass jar whose neck was narrow.
He put his hand through not only the opening but the neck as well and filled the hand with as many almonds as he could.
But when he tried to pull his hand of the jar he couldn’t because his hand had become enlarged due to the too many almonds in it. Hishaam began to yell. His mother came and said,'Hishaam, you're a greedy boy!
If you took a few pieces only, your hand would pass through the neck. Drop the almonds and remember that a well-behaved boy doesn’t enter a pantry and take anything except his mother’s acceptance.

In addition, there must be some other types of the glass boxes with its opening in which a housewife keeps either fruits or vegetables during the winter? The box shouldn't have long neck. What is it called in English?

The housewife probably preserves the vegetables before she puts it into the boxes? She uses vinegar so that the food doesn't start to,...what? (spoil, decay?) Please continue with a few words for me. Thanks

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Given that this piece was an original piece of work by Atchan, I'm not sure it's fair to keep rewriting it.

One hint to e2e4 - you might want to use the word "housewife" a little less. I don't know about anyone else here, but I find the idea that it is only housewives (and indeed, only women) who are responsible for stocking the kitchen with food etc, rather outdated.

With specific regard to glass jars containing vinegar which are used to keep foods for a long time (not necessarily over winter), they are called "pickling jars".

Status
Not open for further replies.