English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hi!
Do you say "the audience was..." or "the audience were...", or it depends of the way you think about the audience, as a group or as people in the group...
Thanks!

yamadew

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
According to Michael Swan Practical English Usage (Oxford), "singular words like family, team, government, which refer to groups of people, can have either singular or plural verb forms and pronouns."

In addition, "plural forms are common when the group is seen as collection of people doing personal things like deciding, hoping, or wanting. Singular forms are more common when the group is seen as an impersonal unit."

So, the sentences given below are both grammatically correct sentences.

(1) There was a large audience in tha hall.
(2) The audience were enjoying the performance.

In (1) audience is seen as a group ("impersonal unit" in Swan's term), while in (2) audience is seen as a collection of people doing pesonal things (in this case each member of the audience is enjoying the performance personally).

I hope I have helped you solve your problem.

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
According to Michael Swan Practical English Grammar (Oxford), "singular words like family, team, government, which refer to groups of people, can have either singular or plural verb forms and pronouns."

In addition, "plural forms are common when the group is seen as collection of people doing personal things like deciding, hoping, or wanting. Singular forms are more common when the group is seen as an impersonal unit."

So, the sentences given below are both grammatically correct sentences.

(1) There was a large audience in tha hall.
(2) The audience were enjoying the performance.

In (1) audience is seen as a group ("impersonal unit" in Swan's term), while in (2) audience is seen as a collection of people doing pesonal things (in this case each member of the audience is enjoying the performance personally).

I hope I have helped you solve your problem.
Thank you for this post. Let me note that in AmE, collective nouns are generally treated as singular and take singular verbs.

branka

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thank you very much!

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
"Let me note that in AmE, collective nouns are generally treated as singular and take singular verbs."

If you search the NY Times, you will find lots of examples of 'the audience were' So I can't let you note that!! Sorry! (Maybe only Englishmen/women work there, but I doubt it!)

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
"Let me note that in AmE, collective nouns are generally treated as singular and take singular verbs."

If you search the NY Times, you will find lots of examples of 'the audience were' So I can't let you note that!! Sorry! (Maybe only Englishmen/women work there, but I doubt it!)

he,he;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi!
Do you say "the audience was..." or "the audience were...", or it depends of the way you think about the audience, as a group or as people in the group...
Thanks!

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I agree with riquecohen that Americans usually prefer the singular:

The audience was enjoying the performance.

(2) I think that the plural would be used only if it made common sense:

The audience were fighting one another (that is, the members of the

audience were ....).

(3) I do not read The New York Times, so I found one poster's

comment very interesting. Of course, The Times does not necessarily

use the language of "ordinary folks." For example, I think that The

New York Times still insists on James's house instead of the more

popular James' house. (I personally agree with The Times's --

not The Times' -- policy.)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

Please note that my post referred to collective nouns in general rather than audience specifically. A further search in the NY Times has found the following:
"The audience doesn´t feel worlds away."
"The Boston Symphony (Orchestra)....has begun..."
"The league (NFL) has made....."
""Congress is increasingly paralyzed..."
"Pavement (the band) doesn´t have...."

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Hey, I didn't say you can't use audience as a singular noun. I did say, it is often used as a plural noun in a bastion of American journalism, most probably by Americans. You seem to think that is not how Americans would use it. I merely wanted to point out, that American journalists do in fact refer to audience in the plural.
I thought we were talking about nouns which can be used in the singular and the plural, such as audience.
Does anyone use Congress as a plural noun? ¿¿Congress were convened?? ¿¿Congress have decided?? I'm English, so I reserve judgement on that, leave it to the cousins to decide!

The orchestra were restive: plural use of a singular noun cf audience.

The league have decided...: plural use of a singular noun cf audience.
The band have decided.....: plural use of a singular noun cf audience.

I thought the question was about nouns, such as audience, which can be used in both as singular and the plural nouns.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Sorry double post: can't handle computers!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is true that the use of the plural for collective nouns is more common in BrE than in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.