Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"What's more problematic is that Kundera seems to feel he has reached a point of such eminence that he can simply assert a lofty position without having to back it up, or throw out the intriguing start of an insight and let it go at that."

Hi, what does "assert a lofty position" mean?

Thanks

Chicchick

Member Type
English Teacher
'lofty' means 'high'

In this context the phrase means that 'he assumes he is above other people in rank and status'.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"What's more problematic is that Kundera seems to feel he has reached a point of such eminence that he can simply assert a lofty position without having to back it up, or throw out the intriguing start of an insight and let it go at that."

Hi, what does "assert a lofty position" mean?

Thanks

'lofty' means 'high'

In this context the phrase means that 'he assumes he is above other people in rank and status'.

Actually I think it means "position" in the sense of "opinion" or "point of view" - he thinks he is sufficiently famous/well-reputed that he can put forward an advanced opinion without having to provide evidence or show his reasoning.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Someone who asserts a lofty position is 'on his high horse' (that's another idiom). In fact, come to think of it, that word 'another' suggests 'asserts a lofty position' is, but it's not; in fact, I think it's missing something. What the person is doing is asserting that he occupies a lofty position.

b

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
:up: Someone who asserts a lofty position is 'on his high horse' (that's another idiom). In fact, come to think of it, that word 'another' suggests 'asserts a lofty position' is, but it's not; in fact, I think it's missing something. What the person is doing is asserting that he occupies a lofty position.

b

Does one occupy a position in the sense of an opinion on something? I don't think anything is missing at all. Assert seems far better to me, understanding position to mean "stance, stand, opinon, point of view".

If you take it any other way, it doesn't make sense in the sentence. If you take it the way I am reading it it forms a perfect counterpart to "throw out the intriguing start of an insight and let it go at that"; they are opposites. He either states his opinion but doesn't bother substantiating how he got to that opinon, or he hints at the start of a thought process but doesn't follow it all the way though - there is a lack of intellectual rigour to his actions, brought about by the fact he feels "he has reached a point of such eminence".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'A lofty position' is 'the moral high ground' - which one does occupy (as one does with any physical position). If you're not happy with 'occupy', I might offer another term (which, perhaps sensibly is going out of fashion - leaving no trace but a related adjective): they arrogate to themselves a lofty position. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.