[AmE] is it rude to say "cheer up"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karina1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello.
I kind of heard that we shouldn't say "cheer up" to others, or strangers.
I didn't exactly remember what I heard, but I think they recommend saying "Keep your chin up", instead of "cheer up".

Did I hear it totally wrong? or does "cheer up" have a kind of bad connotation - something like it's nothing to fuss over, so just move on and cheer up?
plus, I heard that from some american guys.

Thank you.

p.s: to boot, do you pronounce "situation" like "situ-way-shen"? or "situ-ei-shen"?
or, infatuation : "infatu-ei-shen"? or "infatu-way-shen"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The words "cheer up" themselves aren't offensive but the idea of a stranger telling me how to feel is.

Someone telling me to keep my chin up is someone encouraging me. Someone telling me to "cheer up" is telling me I have no right to feel sad. That's how I would interpret it. (Granted, I am a bit sensitive to this. I really get annoyed when people tell me how I should feel.)

I say si-chew-ay-shun and in-fa-chew-ay-shun.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I've got you. You must have meant /ˌsɪt.juˈeɪ.ʃən/, /ɪnˌfæt.juˈeɪ.ʃən/ haven't you?;-):)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even when I was taking linguistics classes, I was never any good at using those symbols.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Anyway, your way's beautiful.:)

karina1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks.

Then, is it okay for a stranger to say "keep your chin up"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Again, I'm a bit hypersensitive about this, so it would depend a great deal on the situation.

If I fell down, a stranger can help me up and I'd be grateful.

If I was running for a bus, and missed it, and appeared upset, and a stranger said "Cheer up -- another bus will be here in 12 minutes." I'd be glad for the information and reassurance.

If someone witnessed my husband being totally rude to me in public and then thought it was somehow appropriate to encourage me to keep my chin up, I'd be outraged that he inserted himself into what should have been a private situation.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Again, I'm a bit hypersensitive about this, so it would depend a great deal on the situation.
:up: It's even worse when (as some people in the UK do) the cheerer-upper adds '... - it might never happen.' :)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks.

Then, is it okay for a stranger to say "keep your chin up"?

I can't see any difference between saying this and saying cheer up in terms of politeness- giving advice like this to strangers is intrusive in most situations.

holton

Member Type
Other
-I am not a teacher-

"Cheer up", as with almost everything, can be rude if said, meant or received as an unkind, flipant, insensitive or out of context comment. It depends on the EQ of those involved!

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just to illustrate an actual story, I had an important meeting to attend one morning when I was going to fly out later for my grandmother's funeral later that afternoon. Not in the happiest of moods, naturally, I arrived for the meeting only to be met my a colleague who took one look at me "Oh, what a sad face! Cheer up, Barb! It can't be that bad."

I'm afraid that I responded with something like "Well, [name withheld], when I leave here, I'm getting on a plane to attend my grandmother's funeral, so please suggest what expression I should have on my face, if mine upsets you." I left her gaping like a fish and sat down.

Status
Not open for further replies.