Correct these sentenecse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vohung39

Member Type
Student or Learner
1. Tonight the moon is full which it reminds me of how I used to go fishing for flounder with my uncle

2.We knew— everybody in the village knew—that floundering was the best on a moonless night, but we choosed the moon anyway.
3.On full-moon nights when moon was round and a circular disk, blue crabs settled into muddly recesses and shed these crusty shells.
4.As our boat slid silently through the shadow water, we watched in lantern light not only for the outline of buried flounder, therefore also for the salt, quited crabs.
5.Our spear was ready for flounder our net was ready for crab. We always caught a few of each.
6.My uncles eyes were sharper than mine, better trained. He would whisper, ”Look. There.” I will look where he pointed, see nothing but the sandy bottom
7. Then he would raise the spear, plunge it into the sand, and lift a flopping flounder into the boat.
8.The crabs were easier to catch because they couldn’t escape. As quickly as founder, I learned how to dip from bellow, make a quick capture, and place the crab gently into a bucket.
9.What I can really dig about those days and nights is how the moonlight dumped some glitter over the water, how we went gliding through quietness, always searching, searching.
Tonight as I look up at the full moon, I am many miles, many years from water, from home.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the board, vohung.

A polite request would attract more response than a bossy command.

Rover

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A leaner/
My try
1. Tonight the moon's full which reminds me of how I used to go fishing for flounder with my uncle.
2.We knew— everybody in the village knew—that floundering (could stay in the context) was the best on a moonless night but we chose the moon anyway.
3.On the full-moon nights when moon is of a round and circular disk shape, blue crabs settle into muddle recesses and the light shed these crusty shells.
4.As our boat slid silently over the dark water, we watched in lantern light not only for the outline of a bit buried flounder therefore also for the edible crabs.
5.Our spear was ready for the flounder and our net was ready for the crab. We could catch a few of each every time we went there.
6.My uncle's eyes were sharper and better trained than mine. He would whisper,'Look! There!' I would look where he pointed but seeing nothing but the sandy bottom.
7. Then he would raise the spear, plunge it into the sand and lift a flopping flounder into the boat.
8.The crabs were easier to catch because they couldn’t escape. As quickly as founder(?), I learned how to dip my bucket bellow the crabs, make a quick capture placing the crab gently into the bucket.
9.What I can really dig about those days and nights is how the moonlight was dumping some glitter over the water while we were gliding through quietness, searching and searching.
10.Tonight as I look at the full moon, I am many miles, many years from home and on the water.
:roll:

baonguyen84

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the board, vohung.

A polite request would attract more response than a bossy command.

Rover
I do strongly agree. I don't know why someone could have that behavior while requesting for help.
:roll:

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
The politeness opens many doors but one must speak pretty good English to get into position to express yourself in a polite way, mustn't he?

Koronas

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece
This is perhaps a textbook home work exercise? The sentences are mostly correct but an incorrect word has been used or an unnecessary word added.

1. Tonight the moon is full which it reminds me of how I used to go fishing for flounder with my uncle

2. We knew— everybody in the village knew—that floundering was the best on a moonless night, but we choosed the moon anyway.
3. On full-moon nights when moon was round and a circular disk, blue crabs settled into muddly recesses and shed these crusty shells.
4. As our boat slid silently through the shadow water, we watched in lantern light not only for the outline of buried flounder, therefore also for the salt, quited crabs.
5. Our spear was ready for flounder ; our net was ready for crab. We always caught a few of each.
6. My uncle's eyes were sharper than mine, better trained. He would whisper, ”Look. There.” I will look where he pointed, see nothing but the sandy bottom
7. Then he would raise the spear, plunge it into the sand, and lift a flopping flounder into the boat.
8. The crabs were easier to catch because they couldn’t escape. As quickly as founder, I learned how to dip from bellow, make a quick capture, and place the crab gently into a bucket.
9. What I can really dig about those days and nights is how the moonlight dumped some glitter over the water, how we went gliding through quietness, always searching, searching.
10. Tonight as I look up at the full moon, I am many miles, many years from water, from home.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The politeness opens many doors but one must speak pretty good English to get into position to express yourself in a polite way, mustn't he?

I thought of that, e2e4, but the standard of English in the sentences we were told to correct is pretty good, leading me to suppose that the OP should have heard the word 'please'.

EDIT: I've just read Koronas's post. I'm sure he/she is right. It's homework.

Rover

vohung39

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Everyone!
I aplogize because I "missed" the reason for helping me correct these sentences. Also, I want to say thank you to everybody who help me, and I espect everybody welcome me to attent to the Forum!:up:
"Those sentences aren't my homework! They are my practices!". I will never post my homeworks to ask everyone unless Igot the authorization from my professor!
Thank you!

Last edited:

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
You're welcome vohung39.

In addition, Rover why was the form "choosed" used instead of "chose"?

Also please tell me what does "founder" mean in the passage?

Would you also correct the passage I've done.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.