Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    spill tips

    "This article spills tips for loosing excessive weight"

    "spill tips" would mean to give a word of advice. Is there a bit more exact meaning?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 524
    #2

    Re: spill tips

    hi,
    Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

    spill would in this context mean "to reveal". It somehow implies that the information given is some sort of secret.

    Cheers

  1. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #3

    Re: spill tips

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "This article spills tips for loosing losing excessive weight"

    "spill tips" would mean to give a word of advice. Is there a bit more exact meaning?
    Ive never heard spill used this way.
    Spill is used in slang to mean reveal information or news, often in an indiscreet manner. Spill the beans is quite a common expression. "He spilled the beans about the surprise party." "She spilled the news that she is pregnant."
    Spill is also used in a psychological context to mean reveal a great deal of information about ones self, sometimes inappropriately. To spill ones guts is a slang expression used in this context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #4

    Re: spill tips

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    Ive never heard spill used this way.
    Spill is used in slang to mean reveal information or news, often in an indiscreet manner. Spill the beans is quite a common expression. "He spilled the beans about the surprise party." "She spilled the news that she is pregnant."
    Spill is also used in a psychological context to mean reveal a great deal of information about ones self, sometimes inappropriately. To spill ones guts is a slang expression used in this context.
    From "Cosmopolitan"

    "Cosmo spills tips for avoiding these early-romance communication errors."

  2. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #5

    Re: spill tips

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    From "Cosmopolitan"

    "Cosmo spills tips for avoiding these early-romance communication errors."
    I imagine that the readers of Cosmopolitan would be familiar with the use of spill in this context. I would prefer reveal, give, share.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #6

    Re: spill tips

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I imagine that the readers of Cosmopolitan would be familiar with the use of spill in this context. I would prefer reveal, give, share.

  3. Tullia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    #7

    Re: spill tips

    I rather like "spill" in this context. I like the image of the tips gushing forth - when you think about the literal meaning of spill and apply that image to news/tips/information of some kind you imagine the info to come in a hurry, lots of it too - it's quite evocative!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-May-2010, 14:30
  2. Spill the beans
    By ricardo9 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2007, 21:52
  3. I need some tips please
    By caroltorresruiz in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2006, 14:31
  4. Tips
    By FullHouse in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2005, 12:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •