Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"This article spills tips for loosing excessive weight"

"spill tips" would mean to give a word of advice. Is there a bit more exact meaning?

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

spill would in this context mean "to reveal". It somehow implies that the information given is some sort of secret.

Cheers

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"This article spills tips for loosing losing excessive weight"

"spill tips" would mean to give a word of advice. Is there a bit more exact meaning?
I´ve never heard spill used this way.
Spill is used in slang to mean reveal information or news, often in an indiscreet manner. Spill the beans is quite a common expression. "He spilled the beans about the surprise party." "She spilled the news that she is pregnant."
Spill is also used in a psychological context to mean reveal a great deal of information about one´s self, sometimes inappropriately. To spill one´s guts is a slang expression used in this context.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I´ve never heard spill used this way.
Spill is used in slang to mean reveal information or news, often in an indiscreet manner. Spill the beans is quite a common expression. "He spilled the beans about the surprise party." "She spilled the news that she is pregnant."
Spill is also used in a psychological context to mean reveal a great deal of information about one´s self, sometimes inappropriately. To spill one´s guts is a slang expression used in this context.

From "Cosmopolitan"

"Cosmo spills tips for avoiding these early-romance communication errors."

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
From "Cosmopolitan"

"Cosmo spills tips for avoiding these early-romance communication errors."
I imagine that the readers of Cosmopolitan would be familiar with the use of spill in this context. I would prefer reveal, give, share.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I imagine that the readers of Cosmopolitan would be familiar with the use of spill in this context. I would prefer reveal, give, share.
:up:

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I rather like "spill" in this context. I like the image of the tips gushing forth - when you think about the literal meaning of spill and apply that image to news/tips/information of some kind you imagine the info to come in a hurry, lots of it too - it's quite evocative!

Status
Not open for further replies.