learning from experience or book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilkergeri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Learning is a spesific subject for people. Some people learn better from experience some people learn better from book. In my opinion, the best way to learning is getting experience. My arguments for this point are listed as follows.
First of all, information from books depents on author's view. For instance, I went to United States two years ago. Before I went I had read a travelling book. I do not remember author's name. He expressed his opinions about Manhattan and I created imagination for Manhattan to authors view. But when I went there I saw that Manhattan was very different place and I did not belive that situation.
Second, we can forget informations which we learn from books. Because, books can not affect us as well as experiences. We can know theorically but sometimes we may forget them. Also, we can not truly before go or see, However, we can not know some historical informations but for instance, if we go that historical place, the informations come our mind easily and ew realized them
In conclusion, books give us just theroical informations, if we want to know or to get experience we should live them.

Slow_Learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi ilkergeri
I agree with you that learning from experience is far better than learning from book. When you read a book, the most you can get from it are visual, audible, and perception (which involve your brain). I'm talking about senses here. In contrast, when we experience something, more senses are involving in the experience( includes taste and touch), which help make learning faster and easier.

By the way, I will try to help you correct your grammar. This is the way I learn how to improve my writing by recognizing other people's mistake.

Learning is a specific subject for people. Some people learn better from experience, others learn better from book. In my opinion, the best way to learning(I think you can say: 'the best way to learn is... or 'the best way of learning is...)is getting experience. My arguments for this point are listed as follows.
First of all, information from books are often depended on authors' view. For instance, I went to the United States two years ago. Before I went I had read a travelling book. (You can combine two sentences above by: For instance, before I went to the United States two years ago, i had read a traveling book, which I did not remember the author's name.)I do not remember author's name.In the book, he expressed his opinions about Manhattan and I created imagination for Manhattan to authors view. But when I went there I saw that Manhattan was very different place and I did not belive that situation. (Of course when you read a book describing about someplace, you will imagine about that place according to what you read. So, above sentences can rewrite like this: In the book, he expressed his opinions about Manhattan and how it looked like. However, when I arrived at Manhattan at the first time, I felt disappointment because the place was not like what being described in the book.--> It is just my suggestions)

Second, we can forget information(information, like water, is uncountable noun, so always takes singular form) which we learn from books. Because books can not affect us as well as experiences(Fragmented sentence here, I will try to combine your sentences above: Second, because books cannot affect us as well as experience, we can quickly forget information we learn from books). We can remember theories but sometimes we may forget them. Also, we can not truly before go or see,(<-- In addition, sometimes we cannot truly understand these theories unless we can experiment them.)However, we can not know some historical informations but for instance, if we go that historical place, the informations come our mind easily and ew realized them (<--to clarify what you tried to say, here: Another example, we can learn historical information better if we can go to or see these historical places.
In conclusion, books give us just theroical informations, if we want to know or to get experience we should live them.

Good luck with your study and experience. By the way, I lived in Minnesota and have never been to New York. Should I learn about it from you or should I visit New York? I moved to the US three years ago. Learning how to write has been really challenging for me, but it is good to see your writing improving everyday. So, just keep doing it everyday. Good luck.

ilkergeri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi ilkergeri
I agree with you that learning from experience is far better than learning from book. When you read a book, the most you can get from it are visual, audible, and perception (which involve your brain). I'm talking about senses here. In contrast, when we experience something, more senses are involving in the experience( includes taste and touch), which help make learning faster and easier.

By the way, I will try to help you correct your grammar. This is the way I learn how to improve my writing by recognizing other people's mistake.

Learning is a specific subject for people. Some people learn better from experience, others learn better from book. In my opinion, the best way to learning(I think you can say: 'the best way to learn is... or 'the best way of learning is...)is getting experience. My arguments for this point are listed as follows.
First of all, information from books are often depended on authors' view. For instance, I went to the United States two years ago. Before I went I had read a travelling book. (You can combine two sentences above by: For instance, before I went to the United States two years ago, i had read a traveling book, which I did not remember the author's name.)I do not remember author's name.In the book, he expressed his opinions about Manhattan and I created imagination for Manhattan to authors view. But when I went there I saw that Manhattan was very different place and I did not belive that situation. (Of course when you read a book describing about someplace, you will imagine about that place according to what you read. So, above sentences can rewrite like this: In the book, he expressed his opinions about Manhattan and how it looked like. However, when I arrived at Manhattan at the first time, I felt disappointment because the place was not like what being described in the book.--> It is just my suggestions)

Second, we can forget information(information, like water, is uncountable noun, so always takes singular form) which we learn from books. Because books can not affect us as well as experiences(Fragmented sentence here, I will try to combine your sentences above: Second, because books cannot affect us as well as experience, we can quickly forget information we learn from books). We can remember theories but sometimes we may forget them. Also, we can not truly before go or see,(<-- In addition, sometimes we cannot truly understand these theories unless we can experiment them.)However, we can not know some historical informations but for instance, if we go that historical place, the informations come our mind easily and ew realized them (<--to clarify what you tried to say, here: Another example, we can learn historical information better if we can go to or see these historical places.

Good luck with your study and experience. By the way, I lived in Minnesota and have never been to New York. Should I learn about it from you or should I visit New York? I moved to the US three years ago. Learning how to write has been really challenging for me, but it is good to see your writing improving everyday. So, just keep doing it everyday. Good luck.

thank you for taking the time..my writing is very bad, I don't how can improve.. I need 70 toefl and have short time..

and you should go New York ..very beautiful :lol:

baonguyen84

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States

Hi Slow_Learner,
How could I improve my writing by recognizing other people's mistake when my grammar is not good enough? I mean, when I read an essay on this forum, I couldn't see where the mistakes were, until teachers or some people corrected them. From your experience, can you give me some advice that helps me to improve my grammar and writing skill?
By the way, if anyone reads my post, please correct me whenever I'm wrong. Thanks in advance.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi Slow_Learner,
How could I improve my writing by recognizing other people's mistake when my grammar is not good enough?

You may not recognise mistakes that people make which are grammatically beyond your knowledge, but you should be able to spot mistakes that people are making with the grammar you do know.

Slow_Learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi BaoNguyen84
I think a student can have many ways to improve his writing. From my experience, you have to be patient.
1:Study some English Grammar first so you can write confidently.
2: Read a lot of English Articles, Essays so that you can get a sense of how the sentence structure. You will also pick up some words that you may not know. I learn a lot by reading from books, internet... Again, you have to be patient. Keep telling yourself that one day when you look back what you do today, you will see your improvement. You cannot improve your English by one day, one week, or one month of studying. It has to be built up by many years of constant learning. So keep studying.
3: When you have some basic understanding of grammar, you can start writing some short stories or essays. Sharing them with other people so that they can help you correct your writing. Keep doing it over and over again, you will improve your writing.

About myself, I moved to the United States three years ago. My English writing was really bad at that time. In fact, I improve my writing mostly by reading from books and internet. Believe me, doing this will help you a lot. You will recognize when a sentence sounds wrong even though you don't know why it is wrong grammatically.
I'm still learning English right now, so please don't think that by living in the US my English writing will turn better naturally.
I will be glad to help you improve you writing. Just post some of your writings up on this site, I will try to help you correct it.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.