Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 26
    #1

    A Looming Conspiracy

    What does "A Looming Conspiracy"means?. And what about "looming"?.Is it noun or adjective or verb or...?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: A Looming Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by georgemartin22 View Post
    What does "A Looming Conspiracy"mean?. And what about "looming"?.Is it noun or adjective or verb or...?
    The verb "to loom" in this sense means "to hang over in a threatening manner". "Looming" is acting as an adjective describing the nature of the conspiracy.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 26
    #3

    Re: A Looming Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The verb "to loom" in this sense means "to hang over in a threatening manner". "Looming" is acting as an adjective describing the nature of the conspiracy.
    Thank you. Can you explain more about this suffix "ing"?. All I heard about "ing" is that it's used to form a noun suffix or verb suffix.I think the above "looming" adjective is derived from the noun "loom" (I read about this on Merriam dictionary.) and not verb "loom".I've tried some verbs to make them adjective by adding the suffix" ing" ,but ending up with nouns. The only another example I could find in the dictionary was "swashbuckling ". So do you think there is any general rule to be applied to make such an adjective?
    Last edited by georgemartin22; 24-Sep-2010 at 21:19.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #4

    Re: A Looming Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by georgemartin22 View Post
    Thank you. Can you explain more about this suffix "ing"?. All I heard about "ing" is that it's used to form a noun suffix or verb suffix.I think the above "looming" adjective is derived from the noun "loom" (I read about this on Merriam dictionary.) and not verb "loom".I've tried some verbs to make them adjective by adding the suffix" ing" ,but ending up with nouns. The only another example I could find in the dictionary was "swashbuckling ". So do you think there is any general rule to be applied to make such an adjective?
    What makes you think that it's derived from the noun "loom", do you think it's referring to a conspiracy of weavers or weaving?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: A Looming Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What makes you think that it's derived from the noun "loom", do you think it's referring to a conspiracy of weavers or weaving?
    "There's alway been a threat looming over us." What about this sentence?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #6

    Re: A Looming Conspiracy

    Many present participles can be used as adjectives- boring/interesting, etc. There are two suffixes -ing- the gerund and the present participle. The latter is used after the verb be to make progressive forms- I was coming to school, etc. This form can often be turned into an adjective.

    BTW I don't see any reason to suppose that looming is derived from the noun loom.

Similar Threads

  1. conspiracy
    By kat2006 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2008, 03:37
  2. hushed with conspiracy
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2007, 13:18
  3. conspiracy-minded, mount a cover up campaign
    By I like English in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2005, 11:28
  4. Conspiracy
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2004, 08:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •