• Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Douchebag badges

“So why were you with her?”

“She was my assignment.”

“From The Eye?”

“No, from the Boy Scouts. That Witch Dating badge just kept eluding me.”

“Well, you must have at least three Total Douchebag badges by now, so that has to count for something. What about Holly? Was that fake, too?” I was panting slightly now thanks to trying to keep up with him. Stupid short legs.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Douchebag badges

Oh my - so many cultural references.

The Boy Scouts (and Girl Scouts too) have badges that show you have learned something, mastered some skills, etc.

He is making a joke that there is a badge called "Witch Dating" and to earn it, he had to spend a certain amount of time with a witch. He hadn't earned it yet (it kept eluding him) so he had to keep trying by dating a witch.

Be aware that calling someone a douche bag is quite rude. It's just a vulgar way of saying someone behave in a very unpleasant and rude way. She is implying that he is so adept at acting unpleasant and rude that he should have earned three of those badges by now. (In fact, you can only earn a badge once.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Douchebag badges

Boy (or Girl) Scouts get badges for their achievements. They can be Cooking badges, First Aid badges and so on. They are important for scouts. A Boy Scout could say that a badge keeps eluding him when despite trying he can't get it.

Your lines are jokes about this matter. There's a girl who one of the speakers dates. The other one wonders why on earth he does it. There's probably been some talk before about her unpleasant features. So the one that dates her says in a jocular way (?) that he does it because of a Boy Scout assignment. He has to date her to finally get his hands on the Witch Dating badge that has been eluding him so far.

The other person continues the joke. They imply that he's a total douchebag by saying that he must have won three Total Douchebag badges.

PS: Sorry, Barb. I didn't see your post when I started typing. The time difference between our postings proves writing isn't very easy to me...