[General] Can you explain this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"I saw dreams of heaven."
"But they all went to hell."
"It's all gone up in smoke."
"To my world I bid farewell."
"God help whoever gets bitten by this bug."
"The devil takes your beauty, the devil takes your love."
"The devil takes your emotional torture from above."

What is the meaning of "The devil takes your emotional torture from above" :-?

Thanks a lot.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
----- Not an ESL teacher -----

Thanks a lot.

Well, as Gillnetter says, Songs and poems don't have to make sense.
"Above" is clearly used to rhyme with "love."

I guess "above" in the last sentence is used to refer to the previous information stated in the above lines of the "poem" or whatever it be. But this is a try, a personal view. The meaning of "above" certainly depends on the current mood of the reader.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
----- Not an ESL teacher -----

Well, as Gillnetter says, Songs and poems don't have to make sense.
"Above" is clearly used to rhyme with "love."

I guess "above" in the last sentence is used to refer to the previous information stated in the above lines of the "poem" or whatever it be. But this is a try, a personal view. The meaning of "above" certainly depends on the current mood of the reader.

I don't want "above".I need the whole meaning of the sentence.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I don't want "above".I need the whole meaning of the sentence.

OK maiabulela, sorry about that.

The whole sentence could mean something like:

The demo tortures you. He tortures you in an emotional way.
He prepares his torture with stuff from the previous items listed above.

But this is just an interpretation.

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

The 'emotional torture from above' is what God has left you with (if you are a believer). It addresses the constant struggle people have when deciding whether or not they really should believe in God and act to his liking.
So when you opt for the devil's path you don't have to concern yourself with the question of what's right or wrong any longer. So by turning to the devil you don't have that inner conflict (this 'torture') anymore.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that your sentence probably means that when you turn to the devil you don't have that conflict anymore.

Though the ways of the devil are tempting, they also destroy you as mentioned in the lines above.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The 'emotional torture from above' is what God has left you with (if you are a believer). It addresses the constant struggle people have when deciding whether or not they really should believe in God and act to his liking.
So when you opt for the devil's path you don't have to concern yourself with the question of what's right or wrong any longer. So by turning to the devil you don't have that inner conflict (this 'torture') anymore.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that your sentence probably means that when you turn to the devil you don't have that conflict anymore.

Though the ways of the devil are tempting, they also destroy you as mentioned in the lines above.

That can mean "the devil has taken any sense of guilt you might have"???

waiting for your reply because also the "present tense is so misleading.

Thanks.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China

I understand it thus: 'from above' means 'from heaven' The devil likes to treat humans badly, whenever and howsoever he/she can. The gifts of heaven are life, love, beauty, health. These things are taken from you by a bug, a disease, a 'devil'. Losing these is emotional torture, because you cling to them and want them. So, 'the devil' tortures you by taking away the things you want. Sounds pretty much the same as what God does. A Buddhist would say, you are the devil, the problem is that you cling to things.

Is the devil a man or a woman?

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

I understand it thus: 'from above' means 'from heaven' The devil likes to treat humans badly, whenever and howsoever he/she can. The gifts of heaven are life, love, beauty, health. These things are taken from you by a bug, a disease, a 'devil'. Losing these is emotional torture, because you cling to them and want them. So, 'the devil' tortures you by taking away the things you want. Sounds pretty much the same as what God does. A Buddhist would say, you are the devil, the problem is that you cling to things.

Is the devil a man or a woman?

I still can't get it because of the verb "take" here!! According to what you say, the devil "gives her the torture" not "take the torture"!!!

So it's still so vague :oops:

That why I thought it might mean to "take from her or "steal" - as far as I understand the verb "take" here - any sense of guilt.

please, I really need more explanation.

Thanks a lot.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
no answer??:oops:

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China

'The devil' takes things from heaven, life, health, beauty, love, and uses them to torture you by first bestowing them on you and then taking these gifts of heaven from you. You want life, health, beauty, love. Taking them away is emotional torture. As I said, there really isn't much difference between God and Devil, it's just the spin you put on things.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

'The devil' takes things from heaven, life, health, beauty, love, and uses them to torture you by first bestowing them on you and then taking these gifts of heaven from you. You want life, health, beauty, love. Taking them away is emotional torture. As I said, there really isn't much difference between God and Devil, it's just the spin you put on things.

Then the devil "gives" us emotional torture not "take" the emotional torture???? That's weird. The line does say thet the devil will take the things and that's ana emotional torture but he will take 1- beauty 2- love 3- emotional torture
that's why it doesn't make sense to me still :oops::oops::oops:

I see "taking" the emotional torture is a bless and "giving an emotional torture" that's the bad thing.

I really in bad need of a detailed explanation. :cry:

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Attempt 3:
To torture someone, you need tools, instruments of torture. Brtish interrogation experts use sleep deprivation, among lots of other things. The CIA use any and all forms of torture to get what they want. The catholic church was very good at torture.

In heaven are heavenly things, such as: life, love, beauty, health. Heaven is generally imagined as somewhere above us. From heaven, from above, the devil takes the instruments with which he/she then proceeds to torture us. He/she takes life from above, and bestows it upon us. Then, mean and rotten as he/she is, he/she proceeds to take that gift of life away from us. We die. We don't want to die. This causes us anguish. This anguish, caused by the devil, is a form of emotional torture. The instruments of torture are exactly the things he took from heaven.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Attempt 3:
To torture someone, you need tools, instruments of torture. Brtish interrogation experts use sleep deprivation, among lots of other things. The CIA use any and all forms of torture to get what they want. The catholic church was very good at torture.

In heaven are heavenly things, such as: life, love, beauty, health. Heaven is generally imagined as somewhere above us. From heaven, from above, the devil takes the instruments with which he/she then proceeds to torture us. He/she takes life from above, and bestows it upon us. Then, mean and rotten as he/she is, he/she proceeds to take that gift of life away from us. We die. We don't want to die. This causes us anguish. This anguish, caused by the devil, is a form of emotional torture. The instruments of torture are exactly the things he took from heaven.

Can you please rephrase it? I know it's clear for you. No need to count the attempts of explaining things to me :-( There is something missing, may be that's why I still can't get it :( I feel it's not related to the lines before it
like the devile deprive you of your beauty.
2- the devil deprive you of love
3- the devil deprive you of ..... (complete)

Thanks.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Attempt 4

A person is dying of a disease, maybe AIDS. "To my world I bid farewell."

"God help whoever gets bitten by this bug." 'bitten by this bug' = infected with this disease.

"The devil takes your beauty, the devil takes your love." You are losing your beauty, losing your love.

"The devil takes your emotional torture from above." Your emotional torture is your suffering. You suffer because you are losing the things you hold dear: life, beauty, love. These things are the gifts of heaven. From thence the devil takes them, to torture you, by giving them to you, and then slowly taking them away from you. You don't want to lose them, so you are suffering.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

A person is dying of a disease, maybe AIDS. "To my world I bid farewell."

"God help whoever gets bitten by this bug." 'bitten by this bug' = infected with this disease.

The first time I read it I thought of someone committing suicide.
And "bitten by this bug" seemed to me something like to be in love (maybe a not corresponded love).

And, regarding the last line, the more I read it the less I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.