English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!
The other day I asked a group of students I teach to make up stories or dialogues based on the idioms we are currently studying.
One of the students sent me her assignment. I looked through, and some of the sentences just sound awkward to my ear.

The only reason is that you frequently become a cause of a bottleneck in the middle of the whole process. (a bottleneck is one of the words we are learning)

What I meant to say is that for example now our executive manager is thinking of whether to take a brand down market or not, and you process the latest data. ( to take a brand down market is another expression we are learning)

Do these sentences sound OK to a native speaker's ear? To mine, they do not.
I do understand how difficult it is for a student to make up a story or dialogue using idioms. They just do not have enough experience yet.

Thank you in advance.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi Gill,
Thank you very much indeed for your help.
As for the expression TO TAKE A BRAND DOWNMARKET, our book of idioms gives the following definition: to sell premium brands cheaper.
The thing is we are currently working at revising the six books of idioms our students use. Some of the expressions sound out of place, I do not remember ever coming across them in the context they are in the books.
That is the reason I bothered you in summer, asking to look at them the way they are in the books, plus some exercises we made up. I really am sorry for my being so cheeky.
I always share the feedback I receive with my students and encourage them to register and post their questions. Slowly but surely they have started to take an interest.
Once again, thanks a lot.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not clear to me why the person is a bottleneck simply by processing the data, which is their job. To b a bottleneck, the person would have to prevent the data moving at a satisfactory rate so that things didn't progress properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.