• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Greetings at 9 PM, 10 PM

How to greet a person at 9PM, 10PM? We usually have calls and we greet customers hi/hello XX. Good Morning. In the evening, Good evening. What if i have a call at 9 PM how to greet him? what if its a late-night call or early morning call(2AM, 3AM)?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Greetings at 9 PM, 10 PM

You can say "good evening" until midnight and "good morning" thereafter. I am curious to know if you always know what time it is at the place the call originates.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks for the reply. I follow the same . BTW, we know their time when we would be reaching them over phone . And one more confusion is like they wish first, at times. Like our morning(their night), they wish us good morning. Can I reply them very good morning(their night) ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't know how much imput you have when it comes to changing corporate policy, but during such late night hours (and considering that you're handling calls from varying time zones around the world) perhaps it would be better to avoid any sort of time-of-day reference in your greeting and say instead "Hello, and thank you for calling XXX"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Ouisch's suggestion is the simplest and clearest, but if you want to use a time of day, how about:

1 If they wish you a good morning (their night), then they are aware of the time differences, so you could wish them a good evening to show that you know their time. If you say something like 'And a good evening to you' then it should be clear.

If they wish you a good evening (their evening/night) then I would wish them the same.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thank you all for the replies. Recently I've got a call form my client supervisor. And our conversation is
    Supervisor : "Hi Fayaz! This is Jessica."
    Me: "Hi Jessica"
    Supervisor: "How are you?"
    Me: "Good. How are You?"
    Supervisor: "Fine. Thanks"

Could any one please change my words in a polite manner or the complete conversation?

Why did she use Thanks? Is it like Thanks for asking? Could I use Thanks when some one asks me how do you do or how are you?

Hope am not doing threadjack.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

When someone says 'How do you do', it is an introductions and the reply is to say 'Hopw do you do'. When someone asks 'How are you?' it is normal to say thanks/thank you when replying- so you could have answered 'Good, thanks and (how are) you?'.

What I would think about changing is your first response- why not start with 'Hi, Jessica, how are you?' or something, which would sound friendlier and get the conversation going.