• Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

question

Hi,

If I write "Applied linguistics is a very difficult subject.The students always face a difficulty to understand it."

"Pollution is a major problem.The trees are cut ,the forests are destroyed and the factories contaminate the rivers"

"Winter creates many problems.The birds cannot find food so they immigrate to warmer countries"

"Flirting is nice.The men try to find ways to approach a lady and the women feel flattered for being the objects of interest"

THANKS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: question

Quote Originally Posted by snoopya1984 View Post
    Hi,

If I write "Applied linguistics is a very difficult subject.The students always face a difficulty to understand it."

"Pollution is a major problem.The trees are cut ,the forests are destroyed and the factories contaminate the rivers"

"Winter creates many problems.The birds cannot find food so they immigrate to warmer countries"

"Flirting is nice.The men try to find ways to approach a lady and the women feel flattered for being the objects of interest"

THANKS
    And the question is?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

My question is if these sentences are correct

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Hi,

"Applied linguistics is a very difficult subject. The students always have difficulty understanding it."
    The original was wrong. This is how I'd say it.

"Pollution is a major problem. The trees have been cut, the forests have been destroyed and the factories contaminate [are contaminating] the rivers"
    You've started with a sentence in the present tense. The focus is on the present, so the appropriate tense for the following sentence is the present perfect. Also, unless you are talking about a specific case, the article before 'trees', 'forests' and 'factories' should be removed.

"Winter creates many problems. The birds cannot find food so they migrate to warmer countries"
    Same point about the 'The'. If you means birds in general, it's "Birds
    cannot..." If you mean specific birds that have already been identified, keep the 'The'. "Flirting is nice. The men try to find ways to approach a lady and the women feel flattered for being the objects of interest"

'They emigrate from Norway; they immigrate to Spain; they migrate from Norway to Spain'
    But it's complicated. It depends where you are. If you're in Spain, you can say they've immigrated [to here] from Norway, etc.

"Flirting is nice. Men try to find ways to approach a lady and women feel flattered for ['by' is better] being the objects of interest."
    Same about 'the'

THANKS
    PS I've taken the liberty of inserting the appropriate spaces around your punctuation marks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

Thank you
    Can I ask you something else?If I say,"in spring, the birds sing" or" I like spring.The birds sing and the flowers blossom" Should I remove "the" again??I am asking because I have seen peiple using the article in these cases without meaning something specific in an obvious way at least.

Thanks again

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thank you
    Can I ask you something else?
    Only if you promise to leave a space after a punctuation mark. C'mon, you're a teacher.

If I say,"in spring, the birds sing" or" I like spring.The birds sing and the flowers blossom" Should I remove "the" again??
    No, the context suggests that you mean "all of the birds". So we know which birds you mean. "The" is optional here.
    In your previous example, it's not certain whether you mean "all of the trees", "all of the forests", or specific ones that you're concerned about. Without "the" it means "some of the trees have been cut down."

I am asking because I have seen peiple using the article in these cases without meaning something specific in an obvious way at least.
    Yes, it's not always either/or. I might have over-emphasised the point.
    As long as you can distinguish between: "The trees along the Amazon have been cut down" and "Trees along the Amazon have been cut down", there's probably not a problem.
    Thanks again
    R

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

thanks a lottttttttt and yes I always forget putting spaces