• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

joke?

I would like to know why the next writing is a joke.

A new born baby was taken to the pediatrician for a first checkup. Upon examining the child, the doctor, told the new parents, “You have a really cute baby.” Smiling, the father said, “I bet you say that to all new parents.” “No,” replied the doctor, “just to those whose babies are really good looking.” “So, what do you say to others,” asked the mother” “I tell them, he looks just like you.”

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: joke?

"He looks just like you" is a very diplomatic solution in such a situation. The doctor must comment on the child's appearance. The doctor can't say that the baby is ugly. It would be very rude. They don't want to lie either so they choose to say, "He looks just like you." It says nothing about the child's appearance unless you know what the doctor thinks about the way the mother looks. The mother is happy because every mother likes to hear her child is similar to her. The doctor is happy too because they didn't have to lie.

But we know what the doctor meant. They meant the mother was as ugly as her child. So we can laugh at the mother - because we know she didn't get it and is happy despite having been insulted. And we can laugh because the doctor's solution was so smart.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    But we know what the doctor meant. They meant the mother was as ugly as her child. So we can laugh at the mother - because we know she didn't get it and is happy despite having been insulted. And we can laugh because the doctor's solution was so smart.
    Yes, but that is not all.
    There is one more thing: when the child is good looking, and his parents are good looking too, the doctor can say "he looks just like you" and that is true. Moreover, such a statement won't raise any suspicion in happy parents. So why didn't he do that? Because he thought that this statement is not true.

So when he said "you have a really cute baby", he really meant "the baby is good looking, unlike his parents".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by chevalier View Post
    Yes, but that is not all.
    There is one more thing: when the child is good looking, and his parents are good looking too, the doctor can say "he looks just like you" and that is true. Moreover, such a statement won't raise any suspicion in happy parents. So why didn't he do that? Because he thought that this statement is not true.

So when he said "you have a really cute baby", he really meant "the baby is good looking, unlike his parents".
    I think you have interpreted more in this joke than was intended.
    The doctor simply had a clever solution to a problem. He is not telling these current parents that they are ugly.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.