Is it a correct way to use the word 'literally'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,

I find it literally insulting and against the forums' rules. Maybe it's too cryptic for me to understand though.

I'm really sorry for my little prank; I didn't intend to insult anyone nor to be against the forums' rules. I did a little reading about antagonisms and I came across that sentence
"awful, artificial and amusing" meaning: "awe-inspiring, cunning and interesting"

It seems to be antagonism in an obsolete meaning of the words.

Cheers

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
hi,

I'm really sorry for my little prank; I didn't intend to insult anyone nor to be against the forums' rules. I did a little reading about antagonisms and I came across that sentence
"awful, artificial and amusing" meaning: "awe-inspiring, cunning and interesting"

It seems to be antagonism in an obsolete meaning of the words.

Cheers
Thanks for explaining this. I'm sorry about my irritation. I didn't even suspect you could mean that. (Which actually means your post was 3A too.)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure, but now we are just talking about personal feelings about usage. I happen to share your particular prejudice - I don't think I ever use "literally" as an intensifier, even when I speak. However, I don't think we should dress our personal prejudices up as language rules. You said:

Would you now agree that this not necessarily a problem?

Well, #1, I said it was a pet peeve, not a language rule.

#2, you are correct. If people are determined to say stupid things there is no way to stop them. But I do think it is good to offer our advice on usage.

There is a difference between using a language logically and using it in a manner that is common.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wowee! I can't believe the passion people seem to feel for this.

If we could just create as much angst over the use of "very unique," which causes the little nerve over my right eye to throb, I'd be happy!

(Let's remember to keep it polite - we've done a good job until now.)

Remember, we couldn't get past the first sentence in the Us Constitution without mentioning a "more perfect" union.

Status
Not open for further replies.