Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi all,

There are thousands of idioms and phrasal verbs

I am just wondering if a native speaker can remember ( almost ) all of them

What would he do if he listened to unknown idioms or phrasal verbs ?

What is the easiest way to remember ( thousands of ) idioms and phrasal verbs

Many thanks

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi all,

There are thousands of idioms and phrasal verbs (There should be a punctuation mark here, a period or a semicolon.)

I am just wondering if a native speaker can remember ((There shouldn't be a space here.) almost (There shouldn't be a space here either. It's "a native speaker can remember (almost) all of them.)) all of them (There should be a punctuation mark here.)

What would he do if he listened to unknown idioms or phrasal verbs (There shouldn't be a space here. It's "verbs?")?

What is the easiest way to remember ((No space.) thousands of (No space.)) idioms and phrasal verbs (Punctuation lacking.)

Many thanks (Punctuation lacking.)
Hi, duiter. There are flaws in your punctuation. See red corrections above. You tend to use the space incorrectly with punctuation.

verbs ? --> incorrect
verbs? --> correct

( almost ) --> incorrect
(almost) --> correct

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
New phrasal verbs appear regularly- as the world is changing very fast, we need new terms and phrasal verbs are one way of doing this. Often hen I hear a new phrasal verb, I can work about the meaning from the context. Sometimes, if it's an area , like the world of finance, that I don't know much about, then I will need to look it up.
When I come across an idiom or idiomatic expression for the first time, it's more or less the same- often it's clear what it means from the context, but at other times I have no idea.

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I remember idioms and phrasal verbs by having hearing them all my life in context. I can't remmber ever looking them up really. The context and the situation informs the listener or reader of the meaning. For the learner of English, sometimes the context will help you. Sometimes you'll have to look them up. A good book is one that uses the idiom or phrasal verb in the context of a short story. I use one particular book that does this with idioms, "Idioms for Everyday Use", Milanda Broukal. It first introduces the idioms in a short story and then defines them along with another sentence with some context.

Status
Not open for further replies.