English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!
Could you tell me if the following sentences sound OK?
Helen has been called to the office of her boss, Andrea. (some sentences from their dialogue)
Helen: Oh dear! Is there some problem? I do love working here and I have been pulling out all the stops recently (to pull out all the stops is an idiom we are learning) to be promoted to a senior receptionist position.
Andrea: Yes, I'm sure you have, Helen, but sometimes you are rather slow at learning. In a hotel of this reputation, every employee has to pull their weight (to pull one's weight is another idiom my students are currently learning) for us to stay ahead of the pack (ahead of the pack is another idiom).
There are some things you are good at, like welcoming the guests, talking to them and giving them any help they require. Most of them are very picky, always on the make (to be on the make is another idiom), and expect the highest quality service.
As I make up these dialogues myself, I sometimes would like to hear native speakers' opinion about the idioms and collocations I use.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for your time and help.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello!
Could you tell me if the following sentences sound OK?
Helen has been called to the office of her boss, Andrea. (some sentences from their dialogue)
Helen: Oh dear! Is there some problem? I do love working here and I have been pulling out all the stops recently (to pull out all the stops is an idiom we are learning) to be promoted to a senior receptionist position.
Andrea: Yes, I'm sure you have, Helen, but sometimes you are rather slow at learning. In a hotel of this reputation, every employee has to pull their weight (to pull one's weight is another idiom my students are currently learning) for us to stay ahead of the pack (ahead of the pack is another idiom).
There are some things you are good at, like welcoming the guests, talking to them and giving them any help they require. Most of them are very picky, always on the make (to be on the make is another idiom), and expect the highest quality service.
As I make up these dialogues myself, I sometimes would like to hear native speakers' opinion about the idioms and collocations I use.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for your time and help.
The others are OK but I don't think this is an appropriate use of "always on the make".
"Most of them are very picky, always on the make (to be on the make is another idiom), and expect the highest quality service."

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!
In the book of idioms I use the idiom 'to be on the make' has the following definition: concerned with making a profit, gaining sth.
If you understand this idiom in the text I posted in a different light, please enlighten me.
I have always tried to get rid of ambiguous words and expressions. The books were written some years ago, and some corrections should be made.

Yours,

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
If you are on the make you are interested in getting money or an adventage for yourself.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!
Thank you for the tips regarding 'to be on the make'. I will definitely remove it from my story just to be on the safe side. For some of my colleagues the information you provided me with was a real eye-opener, which proves a simple truth - live and learn.
And, as a result, a couple of questions again if you do not mind.

These are the lines from my story:
Andrea: And what about you accepting that booking for the penthouse suite at the weekend when we were using it for a conference? It was very careless of you to do that. Our customers might have thought you wanted to PULL A FAST ONE ON THEM and pocket the money.
I do not like TO PULL RANK OVER my employees, but it is time I PULLED THE PLUG ON you. You've got a month to PULL YOUR FINGER OUT and prove to me that you can do the job efficiently.
to pull a fast one on
to pull rank over
to pull the plug on
to pull one's finger out
These are the idioms we teach our students. I am a bit unsure about TO PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT. Is it OK to use it in this dialogue?

Thank you a lot for your invaluable help.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems rather rude.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you for such a prompt reply, but do you want to say that this part of the dialogue is rude and I have to redo it, or did you mean the idiom PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT.
Could you clarify, please. I am all needles and pins.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello!
Thank you for the tips regarding 'to be on the make'. I will definitely remove it from my story just to be on the safe side. For some of my colleagues the information you provided me with was a real eye-opener, which proves a simple truth - live and learn.
And, as a result, a couple of questions again if you do not mind.

These are the idioms we teach our students. I am a bit unsure about TO PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT. Is it OK to use it in this dialogue?

Thank you a lot for your invaluable help.
It is something that is used in BrE, but it's quite aggressive and, as Dave suggested, in it's original meaning rather rude.
Regarding "to be on the make", in BrE it can be applied to somebody who is seeking financial gain. I hadn't considered the sexual implications mentioned by Gilnetter, which I think are mainly in AmE. I just didn't think it was a very good use of it.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you very much indeed! I guess tomorrow there will be a very heated discussion during a sitting of the Department.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for such a prompt reply, but do you want to say that this part of the dialogue is rude and I have to redo it, or did you mean the idiom PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT.
Could you clarify, please. I am all needles and pins.

The idea I get from "pull your finger out" is that you are removing it from your rectum. Not something I would suggest in polite company.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, if you pull the plug on someone, I would assume she was firing her.
I'm more familiar with pulling the plug on a project (discontinuing it) than a person. Either way, it would not mean that she's gotten a stern warnings -- she'd be on her way out the door.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,
Thanks to your tips, we have decided to change the content of some units altogether. The students took the most active part in discussing the issue as well. We all, I mean my colleagues and myself, plus nearly thirty third-year students majoring in international economics, are grateful to all of you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.