Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Are "on the one hand" and "on the other hand" always used to introduce opposite or conflicting things? Or can they also be used to mean "first," "second," such as in the sentence below:

"You benefit from that—on the one hand, through constant personal client service; on the other hand, through a thorough and effective handling of your case."

Thanks!

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are "on the one hand" and "on the other hand" always used to introduce opposite or conflicting things? Or can they also be used to mean "first," "second," such as in the sentence below:

"You benefit from that—on the one hand, through constant personal client service; on the other hand, through a thorough and effective handling of your case."

Thanks!

No, this doesn't sound right. Nice try though! Use this language with opposing or opposite ideas; or, at least different ideas.

You would write it like this:

You can benefit through our constant, personal client service. You can rely on us to handle your case thoroughly and effectively.
Contact our office today!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The idea is that you are weighing the pros and cons of something, like each hand is one of the trays of a balance beam. On the one hand, my parking spot is a long walk to the stadium. On the other hand, it is easier to get in and out of than the spots closer to the stadium.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
The idea is that you are weighing the pros and cons of something, like each hand is one of the trays of a balance beam. On the one hand, my parking spot is a long walk to the stadium. On the other hand, it is easier to get in and out of than the spots closer to the stadium.

Yes, that is exactly what I thought. But I'm translating something from German, and apparently in German one can use "einerseits" (on the one hand) and "andererseits" (on the other hand) in the sense of "first," "second."

Thank you for your feedback.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I have a follow-up question. Specifically, I'm not sure the meaning of "this" is clear. (Keep in mind, it's a translation.)

"Legal problems involve complex fact patterns . You can expect our experienced lawyers to produce an exhaustive analysis so that you get a complete overview of the problems as well as the solution possibilities. We will then treat the legal details with the same dilligence. In this connection, the know-how of each of our employees as well as our long-standing relations with agencies and other experts are precious. You benefit from this—first, through constant, personal client service; second, through a thorough and effective handling of your case."

Thanks a lot!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understand it, but "You benefit from all of this" might be better.

Also, "possible solutions" sounds better to me than "solution possibilities."

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I understand it, but "You benefit from all of this" might be better.

Also, "possible solutions" sounds better to me than "solution possibilities."

Yes, you're so right. Thank you very much for your feedback; I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.