Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    has left vs left, was doing vs had been doing

    1) "John left for Sweden. What was he doing before he went to Sweden? He had been getting ready for the conference."(My version.I kind of simplified it)

    OR

    2)"John has left for Sweden. What had he been doing before he went to Sweden? He had been getting ready for the conference."(Original text)

    When there is no time indication I would use Past Simple instead of Present Perefect "John left for Sweden". Am I right? When the second speaker asked the first one "What was he doing before......" he wanted to know in general.
    When the first one replied "He had been...." he specified that John did a huge amount work getting ready for the conference.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #2

    Re: has left vs left, was doing vs had been doing

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    1) "John left for Sweden. What was he doing before he went to Sweden? He had been getting ready for the conference."(My version.I kind of simplified it)

    OR

    2)"John has left for Sweden. What had he been doing before he went to Sweden? He had been getting ready for the conference."(Original text)

    When there is no time indication I would use Past Simple instead of Present Perefect "John left for Sweden". Am I right? When the second speaker asked the first one "What was he doing before......" he wanted to know in general.
    When the first one replied "He had been...." he specified that John did a huge amount work getting ready for the conference.
    What do you think about the use of tenses and my comments on it?

  1. kenkk2's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 69
    #3

    Re: has left vs left, was doing vs had been doing

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What do you think about the use of tenses and my comments on it?
    Sorry to say that you are completely wrong !When no time mentioned, Present perfect tense can be used (I say "can" because Pre.P. tense could be used in some other ways). Simple past tense must obtain time expression. Past continuous tense expresses an event is happening in the past( before and normally longer ) then( if there is one needed) another event happen(after the former one, suddenly and short)_ the latter is in Simple past tense.
    " ..has been doing.." ( present perfect continuous tense) is used for expressing something has just been happening ( with obvious evidence..as in :" She's been crying_ her eyes are still red..)) or some action is still in progress. ( as in " I've been waiting for you for an hour !")

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #4

    Re: has left vs left, was doing vs had been doing

    Quote Originally Posted by kenkk2 View Post
    Sorry to say that you are completely wrong !When no time mentioned, Present perfect tense can be used (I say "can" because Pre.P. tense could be used in some other ways). Simple past tense must obtain time expression. Past continuous tense expresses an event is happening in the past( before and normally longer ) then( if there is one needed) another event happen(after the former one, suddenly and short)_ the latter is in Simple past tense.
    " ..has been doing.." ( present perfect continuous tense) is used for expressing something has just been happening ( with obvious evidence..as in :" She's been crying_ her eyes are still red..)) or some action is still in progress. ( as in " I've been waiting for you for an hour !")
    I do appreciate your attitude torwards such things from the asian part, but I would very much like to get comments from the native speakers or academicians.

  2. kenkk2's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 69
    #5

    Re: has left vs left, was doing vs had been doing

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I do appreciate your attitude torwards such things from the asian part, but I would very much like to get comments from the native speakers or academicians.
    It is your right to choose the people you wish to consult things about, but then:
    1, You do not really appreciate the truth, the real fact, you just like to be interested in WHO answer or giving out solution to your problems nomatter the solution itself is right or wrong, then I think you do not really need help from members here indeed. In other words, if the fact 2 and 2 are 4 given from a taxi driver, you would deny it, you would prefer 2 and 2 are 3 evn from a native speaker ( Native speakers are not always perfect when it comes to English grammar_sorry if this offends some of the Native speakers ).
    2,When you said :" attitude towards such things...", did you mean my correction to help you sounding rude? if so, I apologize for that, though I do not pretend to say you were right when you were completely wrong _ especially when you had not simply asked for a correction,you had previously stated that what you assumed were right definitely( to me, it sounded abit arrogant!) which now, your " attitude" after my " giving a hand" shows me more with your" I don't care" just because I am an Asian ? What a joke ! Oh, what is more, "such things"? why did you say that, did you mean things like that were very difficult compared to other English studying fields_especially to an Asian person? You seem to look down on Asian learners of English, don't you?
    BTW, some English teachers here do say that other members could give answers to questions if the teachers here are busy or having been offline to help with. I would not ever say a word if this website say: No Academician, no talking ! ( Oh, do you respect Academicians really? then please put at least a capital the letter addressing them )
    Last edited by kenkk2; 01-Oct-2010 at 10:59.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #6

    Re: has left vs left, was doing vs had been doing

    Quote Originally Posted by kenkk2 View Post
    It is your right to choose the people you wish to consult things about, but then:
    1, You do not really appreciate the truth, the real fact, you just like to be interested in WHO answer or giving out solution to your problems nomatter the solution itself is right or wrong, then I think you do not really need help from members here indeed. In other words, if the fact 2 and 2 are 4 given from a taxi driver, you would deny it, you would prefer 2 and 2 are 3 evn from a native speaker ( Native speakers are not always perfect when it comes to English grammar_sorry if this offends some of the Native speakers ).
    2,When you said :" attitude towards such things...", did you mean my correction to help you sounding rude? if so, I apologize for that, though I do not pretend to say you were right when you were completely wrong _ especially when you had not simply asked for a correction,you had previously stated that what you assumed were right definitely( to me, it sounded abit arrogant!) which now, your " attitude" after my " giving a hand" shows me more with your" I don't care" just because I am an Asian ? What a joke ! Oh, what is more, "such things"? why did you say that, did you mean things like that were very difficult compared to other English studying fields_especially to an Asian person? You seem to look down on Asian learners of English, don't you?
    BTW, some English teachers here do say that other members could give answers to questions if the teachers here are busy or having been offline to help with. I would not ever say a word if this website say: No Academician, no talking ! ( Oh, do you respect Academicians really? then please put at least a capital the letter addressing them )
    As I've already said I do appreciate your opinion. I didn't mean to insult you. I should have said the Vietnamese part, but I'd like to read some other comments as well. In everyday speech you're exposed to a lot of things that grammar text books don't give an answer to. Who do you guys think about the sentences given above?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: has left vs left, was doing vs had been doing

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    As I've already said I do appreciate your opinion. I didn't mean to insult you. I should have said the Vietnamese part, but I'd like to read some other comments as well. In everyday speech you're exposed to a lot of things that grammar text books don't give an answer to. Who do you guys think about the sentences given above?
    I'd very much like to get your comments.?

Similar Threads

  1. left
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2009, 07:44
  2. Has left? Or is left? Or left?
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2009, 12:34
  3. gone or left
    By **C@RL$$** in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2007, 05:20

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •