Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    For about an hour

    "How long had it been raining, before you went out? For about an hour."

    OR

    "How long was it raining, before you went out? For about an hour."

    Is it possible to say "About an hour" without "for"? What about the tenses used in these two sentences?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 4
    #2

    Re: For about an hour

    I suppose in the first sentence you're stating that it began and stopped to rain before making the question.

    In the second you're also stating that it began before making the question but you don't specify whether it stopped or not..

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: For about an hour

    Quote Originally Posted by david82 View Post
    I suppose in the first sentence you're stating that it began and stopped to rain before making the question.

    In the second you're also stating that it began before making the question but you don't specify whether it stopped or not..

    How about saying "about an hour" without "for" ?

  1. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #4

    Re: For about an hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How about saying "about an hour" without "for" ?
    Thatīs ok.

  2. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #5

    Re: For about an hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "How long had it been raining, before you went out? For about an hour."

    OR

    "How long was it raining, before you went out? For about an hour."

    What about the tenses used in these two sentences?

    Quote Originally Posted by david82 View Post
    I suppose in the first sentence you're stating that it began and stopped to rain before making the question.

    In the second you're also stating that it began before making the question but you don't specify whether it stopped or not..
    David, I beg to differ. But I am not a native-speaker, so you are free to take my answer as correct or not. When a native-speaker or a teacher shows up on this thread and confirms what you say is correct, I'll happily defer to that.


    Here what I understand from the sentences;

    "How long had it been raining, before you went out? "

    Before you went out, whether the rain had stopped or not. It's unclear.

    "How long was it raining, before you went out?"

    It was still raining when the hearer went out.

    An addition;

    "How long had it rained, before you went out? "

    When the hearer went out, it wasn't raining.

    I'll be happy to know whether I'm correct or not.

    Thanks for answers in advance.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #6

    Re: For about an hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "How long had it been raining, before you went out? For about an hour."

    OR

    "How long was it raining, before you went out? For about an hour."

    Is it possible to say "About an hour" without "for"? What about the tenses used in these two sentences?
    The first one is correct except for the comma, which is unnecessary. It doesn't say whether or not it was still raining when the person went out.
    If you want to use the simple past, you would have to add "for": "How long was it raining for..." but it still wouldn't be as good as the first sentence and it wouldn't say whether it was still raining or not, any more than the first one does.
    Yes, you could omit the "for" in the response, but I prefer it with.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: For about an hour

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The first one is correct except for the comma, which is unnecessary. It doesn't say whether or not it was still raining when the person went out.
    If you want to use the simple past, you would have to add "for": "How long was it raining for..." but it still wouldn't be as good as the first sentence and it wouldn't say whether it was still raining or not, any more than the first one does.
    Yes, you could omit the "for" in the response, but I prefer it with.
    Is it obligatory to put |"for" when you say "How long was it raining for...? How about being formal or informal?

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #8

    Re: For about an hour

    You don't need the "for."

    How long will you be gone? About two weeks.
    How long will you be about? About an hour and half, I think.
    How long is this rain supposed to continue? Another two days.
    Oh! It's raining. How long has that been going on? About an hour.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #9

    Re: For about an hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    You don't need the "for."

    How long will you be gone? About two weeks.
    How long will you be about? About an hour and half, I think.
    How long is this rain supposed to continue? Another two days.
    Oh! It's raining. How long has that been going on? About an hour.
    A lot of guys said that that you have to put "for" in "How long was it raining for/or without"?

Similar Threads

  1. half-hour drive away/half-hour walk away
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2008, 18:17
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Sep-2008, 10:41
  3. [General] hour=? (hour destroy us)
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2008, 15:01
  4. hour
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2007, 22:10
  5. Call after half hour/ half an hour?
    By sweetie_sneha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2006, 07:15

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •