Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Ahmad Safwat's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 51
    #1

    The Word "Tag"

    Welcome dears

    I looked confused in the meaning of "tag" because I read in the dictionary that it has several meanings but not often used !. I found that it's usually used in :

    1) Tag question (Isn't it? , Aren't you?...etc)
    2) Tag team (In wrestling for example)
    3) Ahamd was tagged in a photo or album (In facebook)

    I studied it in the past that it means the tail, where tag question rule means that the question is an appendix . When I played WWE games and watched it in TV I found that it may means tailed with another wrestler! or may be dual team and when I saw in facebook the tagging I felt it may means a tie or attach (link).

    Now please, what the word 'tag' means exactly?

    Regards

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: The Word "Tag"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Safwat View Post
    Welcome dears

    I looked confused in the meaning of "tag" because I read in the dictionary that it has several meanings but not often used !. I found that it's usually used in :

    1) Tag question (Isn't it? , Aren't you?...etc)
    2) Tag team (In wrestling for example)
    3) Ahamd was tagged in a photo or album (In facebook)

    I studied it in the past that it means the tail, where tag question rule means that the question is an appendix . When I played WWE games and watched it in TV I found that it may means tailed with another wrestler! or may be dual team and when I saw in facebook the tagging I felt it may means a tie or attach (link).

    Now please, what the word 'tag' means exactly?

    Regards
    It doesn't mean anything exactly. It has those meanings you've given, and some others as found in good dictionaries.
    A tag is often a small piece of something that's hanging off the main thing - a skin tag, a price tag. This might be the origin of the some of the definitions, as in a sentence tag. But tag team wrestling probably has a different derivation.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,215
    #3

    Re: The Word "Tag"

    It's also a children's game, where one person is "it" and they run around until "it" can touch, or tag, one of the others. Then that person is "it."

    The idea of the tag team is similar, I think. I do it for a while, then I get tired, tag you, and you go in and do it for a while. Don't those wrestlers slap hands when they trade off? (This is not entertainment that I watch, so I"m not sure.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. Ahmad Safwat's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 51
    #4

    Re: The Word "Tag"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It doesn't mean anything exactly. It has those meanings you've given, and some others as found in good dictionaries.
    A tag is often a small piece of something that's hanging off the main thing - a skin tag, a price tag. This might be the origin of the some of the definitions, as in a sentence tag. But tag team wrestling probably has a different derivation.
    Actually I don't know what tag (as a single word) means, I took it as a tail then knew it as a kind of sport match then as an activity of facebook !. I understand its meaning from the context but not litterally. I guess finally it may refer to an attaching touch on a thing.

  5. Ahmad Safwat's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 51
    #5

    Re: The Word "Tag"

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    It's also a children's game, where one person is "it" and they run around until "it" can touch, or tag, one of the others. Then that person is "it."

    The idea of the tag team is similar, I think. I do it for a while, then I get tired, tag you, and you go in and do it for a while. Don't those wrestlers slap hands when they trade off? (This is not entertainment that I watch, so I"m not sure.
    Yes, I played this game a lot when I was child but here in Egypt we call it Electricity where it is the same of tag game (as you descirbed) but when I feel I would be touched I say Electricity where he couldn't touch me then I think your expectation about tag team in wrestling is right.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2009, 15:40
  2. [Grammar] [word choice] "suit" or "fit"
    By realmira in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2008, 09:56
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Apr-2008, 23:58
  4. I'd like to connect the word "kitchen" and "environment"
    By higurashi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2007, 11:27
  5. Pronunciation of the "u" in the word "pure"
    By Catherine C. in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 10:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •