Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did it again. I guess I can't use the tab key the way I want to.

Ata. adv.
Tavko. adv.
gb. form

which they will read as "All the average student of foreign language EVER needs to know about adverbs. There are various kinds of adverbs. Grouped by form..."

You see, "ata." is an abbreviation of the acronym "atapentka." which means "all the average person EVER needs to know about" and which got changed to "atasoflentka." and means "all the average student of foreign language EVER needs to know about".

It is all quite bizarre, but makes a certain amount of sense, and the students understand it.

This time I actually MEAN to post a reply.

Dane Mohr

Member Type
Student or Learner
I notice that things are a little slow at the moment on this part of the forum.

Well, the school year has begun for me, and this year I am intend to teach Reed-Kellogg for the first time in about 15 years. We will see whether or not I can "turn on" 14-year-olds to the art. Warning! If I manage to do so, I intend to send them to this site.

It will still take about two or three weeks of preparation in morphology before they will be ready for syntax.

Well, I can tell you Mr. A, the few times I have done it, I have loved it, we need to do it more in class, I came home today and noticed I had started doing it on the back of my math... Oops!:lol: Now I find myself wondering "What will tomorrow bring?"

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Forum,

As you perhaps can see, one of my students has joined the forum. This could be very interesting -- to get a young student's input and reaction to Reed-Kellogg.

So far, the most that they can do is to modify a subject with one or more adjectives and use an intransitive verb for the simple predicate. Tomorrow in school I will show them how to modify the simple predicate with an adverb.

In the process, the class, and each individual student, is creating a story using only the syntax that they can diagram.

Don't be surprised if one or more of my students creates a pdf file version of their class notes.

Today I showed them this website and forum. I hope they do not descend upon it en masse.

Frank

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey Mr. Antonson! I have a few pages up of our notes on the website!
Josh and I are still working on the pages of the site and after some time, I will hopefully have a PDF file for anyone to download! Sorry I can't post the link. Since I am new to UsingEnglish.com, I have to wait until I post 5 replies to post the link. :-( But I will give it to you in class on Monday!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sounds good, Nick.

I suppose that you could email me the link and then have me post it after I have looked at it.

I am very curious to see what you work looks like. If it includes diagrams of sentences, I am wondering what program you used to diagram.

Mr. A.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The site only has a few pages of our notes because I need to type/add more of the notes. Also, I just sent the link to your school email address.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay, I will look for it.
I assume that you have started with morphology i.e. "All the average student of foreign languages EVER has to know about" [henceforth atasoflEntka.] nouns, verbs, ...
Or did you begin with "The Bare Necessities of Grammar [henceforth gmr.]"?

Dear Forum,
It should be noted that the classes that Dane, Nick, and I are referencing include much that is admittedly strange -- done for the purpose of speed in note taking.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I tried sending the link to your school email 2 times and they both came back to me, saying it failed to send. So, I will just give it to you at school on Monday. And Josh is typing the notes up and giving them to me so I can build the site and create the pdf file. So, I don't know what he is doing with the atasoflEntka and the The Bare Necessities of Grammar... he hasn't sent me any more notes yet. Hopefully, he will get more to me by the end of the weekend or by Monday.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sounds good.

You probably have my email slightly wrong. Since it's online and public, I don't see the problem with telling you here that it's <antonsonf@bedford.k12.pa.us>.

Monday's fine for me. I don't know if there is anyone on this forum who is curious and doesn't want to wait.

Mr. A

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, the email is typed in right. Most of the time when I send an email to one of the teachers at school, it doesn't send the first time for some odd reason. But once I reply 5 times (I think this is my 4th), I can post the link.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's odd. I know that sometimes the school's email is down.

In any case, it occurs to me that we should move this kind of discussion off this forum. Until we get it worked out, this kind of thing will not be of interest to the other readers.

If not before, I'll talk to you on Monday.

Dear Forum,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Frank

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nick,

That hyperlink is pretty cool. I wonder what strangers will think. There are a few minor mistakes, but GREAT WORK!

Frank

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ok. Thanks! I made you a moderator for the site and Josh and I are the admins. Josh added a whole bunch of pages and they look very good (I think so at least). And I can't wait to find out what we will learn next for Sentence Diagramming!:-D

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am VERY curious to see what this forum thinks about your site. It is as if we are letting them in on a secret. Keep in mind that observers will have never heard any explanation from me and that the text itself is going to have to explain all.

To be fair to the forum, the pages in section 2 should be of most interest; however, many of the people on this forum are probably English teachers and probably teach much more than grammar. Accordingly, the other sections may be of interest to them. In any case, I am looking forward to Monday when we can talk about this. (I am glad that you are copyrighting your site.)

Frank

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I also added in a widget to the sidebar where you can translate the pages of the website to any language Google supports. That way, if you don't speak English, you can still read it for the most part.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are beyond me now.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All of the kids from different classes seemed to like the website.:-D Hopefully, we get some more members on the site. Including Josh, you (Mr. Antonson), and me, there are a total of 5 members but that is pretty good for just getting started on it!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am hoping to get some input from members of this forum.

I can report to the forum that the interest that my students are showing in Reed-Kellogg is amazing me. It is like candy to them. I am having trouble teaching them fast enough to keep them happy. Today they learned about modifiers modifying modifiers, as in "The very strong man ran extremely fast." They gobbled it up. I guess tomorrow it had better be direct objects so that they can start using transitive verbs. Then compounding. They'll go nuts when they see what THAT does to their diagrams!

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, every one was ready to start competitive diagramming but we ran out of time.:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.