Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, in one sense, "The Games" are over. By Christmas break I had managed to cover morphology and syntax, with two exceptions: "Ata. ij" [all the average student of foreign language EVER needs to know about interjections]; and objective complements. Those two things I will cover at my leisure in January.

I looked back at the start of this thread and saw that it was October 2, 2010. Between that date and December 22, I spent a little over half of each 45-minute period on this effort. The rest of those periods were spent on a chronological survey of the humanities from about Hebrew Literature through Greek mythology.

It is close to accurate to say that these students knew nothing useful about the parts of speech and NOTHING about the parts of sentences. Many of the students, however, were very highly motivated, as demonstrated by Home - Notes for Humanities/Language See the linguistics and syntax buttons.

Now I intend to use this skill and knowledge that the students have in our enjoyment of Shakespeare and in their exposure to Spanish, French, and Latin.

I guess I should begin a new thread. I'll have to think of a name. Any suggestions?

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
chartr.jpg

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is the link the the full-sized version for easy viewing.

http://img525.imageshack.us/i/chartn.jpg/http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3864/chartn.jpg

I would love to get some feedback on this chart. For the most part the abbreviations should be self-explanatory. There are some mistakes in the chart that I am aware of, but I would first like to see if any viewers immediately spot those mistakes. The chart is eight-sided, with each side devoted to a part of speech. Adjectives, nouns, and interjections do not require very much space even though they number in the thousands. Conjunctions are also surprisingly few. In several parts of the chart a dashed line together with color-coding indicates the overlapping of use.

Please let me know what you think. The chart was of enormous value to my students when they took the test.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is the link the the full-sized version for easy viewing.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3864/chartn.jpg

I would love to get some feedback on this chart. For the most part the abbreviations should be self-explanatory. There are some mistakes in the chart that I am aware of, but I would first like to see if any viewers immediately spot those mistakes. The chart is eight-sided, with each side devoted to a part of speech. Adjectives, nouns, and interjections do not require very much space even though they number in the thousands. Conjunctions are also surprisingly few. In several parts of the chart a dashed line together with color-coding indicates the overlapping of use.

Please let me know what you think. The chart was of enormous value to my students when they took the test.

The chart DEFINITELY was helpful for the test! :-D I still don't understand it completely but I think I understand it more now that we are done with it. I am still sort of scared to know what I got on that test, though! :D

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't corrected the students' tests yet. I will do it later today or tomorrow. It will get me in the mood to go back to school. (If they all flunked the test, I will be very ready to admit failure.)

Status
Not open for further replies.