Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1)"He told me that he had travelled for nearly two months,was in different towns and saw many different things."

Is it acceptable? Or it has to be "he had travelled.....,had been in...... and had seen......"

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The use of the past perfect is correct.

Rover

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The use of the past perfect is correct.

Rover

How about Past Perfect mixed up with Past Simple? Some "old grammar texbooks" say it's incorrect to use Past Perfect and Past Smple in the same sentence?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
How about Past Perfect mixed up with Past Simple? Some "old grammar texbooks" say it's incorrect to use Past Perfect and Past Smple in the same sentence?
You can also find textbooks which say that in a series such as you presented, you can begin with the past perfect and continue with the past simple. In that light, I would find your original sentence acceptable.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You can also find textbooks which say that in a series such as you presented, you can begin with the past perfect and continue with the past simple. In that light, I would find your original sentence acceptable.
You got ten mega points for your clarification:up:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

What would you say nowadays?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1)"He told me that he had travelled for nearly two months,was in different towns and saw many different things."

Is it acceptable? Or it has to be "he had travelled.....,had been in...... and had seen......"
You can also use the simple past 'travelled' along with the other simple past verbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.