is it forget a 'particular' verb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twippy

Member Type
English Teacher
Can someone explain me why it's right to say : I left my umbrella at home and it's not correct to say I forgot my umbrella at home?
Thank you very much!!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can someone explain to me why it's right to say: "I left my umbrella at home" and it's not correct to say "I forgot my umbrella at home"?
Thank you very much!!
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
I've put parts of your post in quotes in order to make sense of it. I hope I've guessed right.
There's no grammatical reason for this. We just don't use 'forget' that way in English. Similarly we don't say, "I remembered my umbrella at home." Do you say, "Ho dimenticato il mio ombrello a casa" and "Mi sono ricordato il mio ombrello a casa"? That's interesting.
While it's true that you forgot your umbrella while you were at home, leaving it there is a different action. Your sentence tries to conflate the two verbs.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Can someone explain to me why it's right to say 'I left my umbrella at home.', and it's not correct to say 'I forgot my umbrella at home.'?
Thank you very much!!
"I forgot my umbrella at home." is correct. It means that you meant to take it, but you forgot to do so.

"I left my umbrella at home." can mean that you intentionally did not take it with you.
So the two sentences are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.