[Grammar] Adding a/an

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi
I don't speak English usually so i'm sorry if I have any mistake.
I've learned that I need to add a/an only before single noun.
I read in a book the sentence 'He examined her belly with an ill-concealed astonishment' and I wondered why there is no an before the ill-concealed astonishment and I was told that we don't add a/an before an uncountable noun. a few minutes ago I read the sentence "i'm still in a daze". Daze is also an uncountable noun so I don't understand there is "a" before that?
thanks

ackeiyword

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bhutani
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
Austria
be in a daze, this is a phrase and is a regular collocation.

"A" goes before all words that begin with consonants.With one exception: Use "an" before unsounded h.
"An" goes before all words that begin with vowels, With two exceptions:the word-initial 'y' sound (unicorn) is actually a glide [j] phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring 'a'.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear Guyy,
What you were told is wrong. "A" and "An" are not only put before countable nouns but also before uncountable nouns. As Ackeiyword said:
"A" goes before all words that begin with consonants.With one exception: Use "an" before unsounded h.
"An" goes before all words that begin with vowels, With two exceptions:the word-initial 'y' sound (unicorn) is actually a glide [j] phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring 'a'.
But further more, you have to be careful with some words start with "U", like: university, useful (horse),... Put "A" before it! "U" here are pronunced /ju:/, j is a consonants.
Good luck!

Devon Pham

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"A" and "An" are not only put before countable nouns but also before uncountable nouns.
Actually, we cannot use a/an with most uncountable nouns. We can use a/an before some uncountable nouns, mainly those denoting human emotions and thoughts, and usually when they are limited in some way:

He has a good understanding of the situation.
He has a pretty good knowledge of Russian.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Actually, we cannot use a/an with most uncountable nouns. We can use a/an before some uncountable nouns, mainly those denoting human emotions and thoughts, and usually when they are limited in some way:

He has a good understanding of the situation.
He has a pretty good knowledge of Russian.
Yes. I supposed to write: "A" and "An" are not only put before countable nouns but also before uncountable nouns in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.