Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

If you were to examine a student supposed to talk about a topic for a few minutes, e.g. "Australia" and wanted to give him a list of items that he or she could mention (Climate, Population, Commonwealth, etc.), would you label that list a list of cues or clues? Or are both correct? Do you know any better words to use for that?

Thanks.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

If you were to examine a student who is supposed to talk about a topic for a few minutes, e.g. "Australia", and wanted to give him a list of items that he or she could mention (Climate, Population, Commonwealth, etc.), would you label that list a list of cues or clues? Or are both correct? Neither word is suitable.

Do you know any better words to use for that? I would say 'things'. (or less likely 'subtopics')

Thanks.

Last edited:

enthink

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What about the word ideas?

BTW, why did you add "who is" to my post? I think it's perfectly correct to say e.g. "A man known to be missing" instead of "A man who is known to be missing".

And why did you remove "to" from the part "supposed [to] talk about a topic"?

EDIT: The post above this one was edited in response to this post, so now this post partially doesn't make sense (which I always appreciate).

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What about the word ideas?
I don't think "ideas" fits well with the words and structure of that sentence. We generally talk about our ideas or tell people our ideas. "things" is much better in your sentence.

BTW, why did you add "who is" to my post? I think it's perfectly correct to say e.g. "A man known to be missing" instead of "A man who is known to be missing".

"known" and "supposed" are not comparable here.
"supposed" has at least two possible meanings.

1...assumed
A man (assumed)(supposed) to be the father.......

2...should
He (should)(is supposed to) do.....

So, in your sentence, you need to say '...examine a student who is supposed to talk...'.

And why did you remove "to" from the part "supposed [to] talk about a topic"? my mistake I unintentionally removed it when I added to the sentence.

EDIT: The post above this one was edited in response to this post, so now this post partially doesn't make sense (which I always appreciate)
Don't worry about that; everyone will know what happened.

chevalier

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher.

I would say something like "to suggest some points to elaborate on/discuss". What do you think?

enthink

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Native English speakers, please vote for the best one:

1) The following items could help you:
- Climate
- Population
- Relationships with neighbors

2) The following points could help you:
- Climate
- Population

3) The following ideas could help you:
- Climate
- Population

4) The following things could help you:
- Climate
- Population

5) The following could help you: [no explicit subject]
- Climate
- Population

I'm not sure those things are things though. ;-) The last one would be my safest bet.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Native English speakers, please vote for the best one:
Remember that you changed the wording very considerably. So whatever people may choose from your list won't apply to your original post.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or 'Useful words' perhaps...

What makes 'cue' wrong is that a cue is a trigger, rather than the word itself. An actor, for example, must know his cues - the words or actions that make him say or do something.

What makes 'clue' wrong is that a clue is a hint about some fact, rather than the word itself.

b

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Can "cue" mean hint too?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can "cue" mean hint too?
I don't think so, although it is used that way by people who think 'cue' sounds cleverer than 'clue'! (Descriptivists would want me to accept this as proof of a change in the language, but I was never impressed by Humpty-Dumpty-ist arguments like this. [Clue: Humpty Dumpty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - that link would only be a cue if it made you click on it, rather than just suggesting that you might ;-)] )

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.