Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
A client asks a lawyer or a law firm to perform a certain legal service for him. Could one say that the lawyer or the law firm received a mandate?

According to dictionary.com, a mandate is, among other things, any contract by which a person undertakes to perform services for another (see no. 8 at Mandate | Define Mandate at Dictionary.com). In German, one would use the term "Mandat" to describe the request made by the client, and I'm wondering if I can translate "Mandat" as "mandate."

Here's a more specific example:

XXX & Partners is the biggest law firm in Bern. We handle mandates from all over Switzerland.

I suppose one could use the term "assignment" or even "case" instead of "mandate."

What do you think?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A client asks a lawyer or a law firm to perform a certain legal service for him. Could one say that the lawyer or the law firm received a mandate?

According to dictionary.com, a mandate is, among other things, any contract by which a person undertakes to perform services for another (see no. 8 at Mandate | Define Mandate at Dictionary.com). In German, one would use the term "Mandat" to describe the request made by the client, and I'm wondering if I can translate "Mandat" as "mandate."

Here's a more specific example:

XXX & Partners is the biggest law firm in Bern. We handle mandates from all over Switzerland.

I suppose one could use the term "assignment" or even "case" instead of "mandate."

What do you think?

Thanks.
I think the usual term is "instruction", "We handle instructions from all over Switzerland".

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I think the usual term is "instruction", "We handle instructions from all over Switzerland".

Thank you for your reply.

I've done some googling and it appears "instruction" is indeed used in England; unfortunately, I have to translate into American English (of which you are a huge fan, or so I've heard), and I doubt "instruction" is used in America.

Thank you nonetheless.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Instructions.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Could you use "instruction" in a sentence like this?

Our lawyers pursue a common strategy on each instruction (i.e., on each assignment).

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why would you need to?

If the client says "Please create an escrow account" how much of a common strategy is needed?

It sound inflated and odd.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Why would you need to?

If the client says "Please create an escrow account" how much of a common strategy is needed?

It sound inflated and odd.

I am translating something and the translation is supposed to reflect the original text.

But you could say, our lawyers pursue a common strategy on each assignment/case, right?

Thanks.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Perhaps it would be better to use "for."

Our lawyers pursue a common strategy for each instruction/assignment.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Perhaps it would be better to use "for."

Our lawyers pursue a common strategy for each instruction/assignment.
Who are you translating this for, do you really need to translate it that way? What do you mean by "common strategy"?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Who are you translating this for, do you really need to translate it that way? What do you mean by "common strategy"?

For a company.

"Our lawyers pursue a common strategy on each assignment/case/instruction" is what it says in the original. I don't think it's hard to understand; I'm just not sure if "on each assignment/case/instruction" is correct.

Come to think of it, "with" works best.

Our lawyers pursue a common strategy with each assignment.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your translation is grammatical.

If I read it in on a law firm's Web site, I would still say "What an odd and inflated thing to say. I don't want a common strategy. I want individual attention to my specific need and a customized strategy tailored to me." But you're not responsible for that part.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Your translation is grammatical.

If I read it in on a law firm's Web site, I would still say "What an odd and inflated thing to say. I don't want a common strategy. I want individual attention to my specific need and a customized strategy tailored to me." But you're not responsible for that part.

Do you prefer "on each assignment" or "with each assignment"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I like your idea of "with" better, but I have no problem with "on" or even "for" either. If it were "each client" then I would choose "for."

Status
Not open for further replies.